Handling sweet pastry

Reaction score
I find this the most difficult pastry to handle. No matter how much I chill it, it seems to warm up rapidly once I start handling it in order to roll it. Using it this of the year is a total nightmare!

Does anyone have similar trouble when dealing with sweet pastry, or is just me? When lining the tin with the pastry, it will often break because it seems to lose its chill fairly quickly. I don't have this problem with shortcrust. Maybe I should just give up?!? :confused:

Reaction score
When you make any kind of pie crust, be sure to use cold ingredients, such as the butter and the water. Try not to handle the dough with your hands as much as possible, too, as your hands will warm the dough. If you still have trouble, I'd recommend you to find a different recipe.

Reaction score
I agree with Mrytle. Another thing you can try is to chill it in the fridge for a few minutes after you knead it into a bowl. Try rolling the dough on a cold stone platform as well.

Reaction score
I have found that putting a little bit of powdered sugar all over the dough helps the dough not be so sticky. Also, putting the dough in the freezer for a short period of time works well as I do this on several different pastries I make at Cheistmas.

Ask a Question