Happy to be here!

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum, and new to baking. I’d never really been a baker, untili bought a bread machine. It was an AAAAH moment. I don’t have room in my present kitchen for my stand mixer, and my arthritis restricts my kneading abilities, so the bread maker is a win-win for me.

It seems that every professional baker in the world urges the novice baker’s to lose the recipe and switch to baker’s percentages, and drop the volume measurements for weight. Okay. I’ve got my scale, I’ve decided on metric (it’s easier for math-challenged people). And I’ve got, like, a dozen cookbooks from authors who tout the whole ratio thing. But not one of them includes a comprehensive study of those ratios. Jus more recipes. The math part of my brain (admittedly small] is freaking out!

That’s me. I have more questions than answers. I’ll do my best to keep up, though, and if someone does have a question I can answer, you’ll see it here! If any of you (or, I’m sure, most of you) can help me along in my study of baker’s percentages, please guide in my quest!

Ask a Question