Harris Teeter Cake Mixes

Reaction score
Hello All

Does anyone remember the Harris Teeter cake mixes. They were so superior to Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker in taste and then, about 2 years ago, HT just removed them from the shelves. I am not much of a baker but when I made these, which were good even without frosting, my kids, wife and whoever was with us commented on them.

Also, why do people keep recipes secret?
I worked with a lady who, using her grandmother's recipe, made the best cake (pound cake) that I ever tasted and I have eaten cake in France. Unbelievably good but different, so different. She would not give me the recipe. Said she promised her grandmother never to reveal. OMG and WTF !

She would bring me a cake at Christmas but that only enraged me. I offered to pay her and she stopped bringing me cakes at Christmas. Why would her grandmother wish to keep a recipe secret. Kinda like the Nieman Marcus cookie thing

Bdoon
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Hello All

Does anyone remember the Harris Teeter cake mixes. They were so superior to Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker in taste and then, about 2 years ago, HT just removed them from the shelves. I am not much of a baker but when I made these, which were good even without frosting, my kids, wife and whoever was with us commented on them.

Also, why do people keep recipes secret?
I worked with a lady who, using her grandmother's recipe, made the best cake (pound cake) that I ever tasted and I have eaten cake in France. Unbelievably good but different, so different. She would not give me the recipe. Said she promised her grandmother never to reveal. OMG and WTF !

She would bring me a cake at Christmas but that only enraged me. I offered to pay her and she stopped bringing me cakes at Christmas. Why would her grandmother wish to keep a recipe secret. Kinda like the Nieman Marcus cookie thing

Bdoon
(e-mail address removed)

Since private labels products are for produced and packaged by third parties, if they don’t sell well, they are quick and easy to discontinue.

I don’t know why people get so hung up on keeping their recipes a secret. To be honest a cake is a cake is a cake. A cookies a cookie is a cookie. What defines a chocolate chip cookie means you have to you specific ingredients and stay within certain ratios of other ingredients to the flour. Otherwise you no longer have a chocolate chip cookie. That’s the way it is with all baked goods because baking is science, a chemical reaction of the ingredients to time in temperature. So if you deviate from the ratios that make up a cookie, you’re not going to have a cookie.

The only reason to keep a recipe/formula secret is if you’re in commercial production.

Reaction score
Since private labels products are for produced and packaged by third parties, if they don’t sell well, they are quick and easy to discontinue.

I don’t know why people get so hung up on keeping their recipes a secret. To be honest a cake is a cake is a cake. A cookies a cookie is a cookie. What defines a chocolate chip cookie means you have to you specific ingredients and stay within certain ratios of other ingredients to the flour. Otherwise you no longer have a chocolate chip cookie. That’s the way it is with all baked goods because baking is science, a chemical reaction of the ingredients to time in temperature. So if you deviate from the ratios that make up a cookie, you’re not going to have a cookie.

The only reason to keep a recipe/formula secret is if you’re in commercial production.
Thank you ...do you recall the HT mixes...ever use them?

Reaction score

The pound cake recipe not shared with me made by far the best pound cake I have ever had. When I shared this cake with others they practically said the same thing about it. I have often wondered what this former co-worker of mine included that made it so good. I liked it as much as Tres Leche or French Wedding cake. She would gift me cakes but not the recipe.

Ask a Question