Has Anyone Ever Had Kisiel?

Reaction score
Well this one is probably aimed at those of us who are of Polish decent or other Eastern European countries, but I was just curious if anyone has ever had kisiel? Some of you might have had it without knowing the name though too, so to describe it, it is basically a jello cake with real fruit inside.

If anyone has, did you like it? I was really excited to try it for the first time because of how it was described, but it is a lot better sounding than it is tasting, and I really do not care for it.

I am interested to see if anyone here has ever had it.

Reaction score
I've never even heard of it before. My husband is a quarter Polish in his ancestry, but I don't think he has ever mentioned it either...but now I'm curious!

It sounds good - but you have me a little worried that it sounds better than it tastes! ;)

Reaction score
Hmm, I followed the link and it's not what I thought it would be. I have made jello in the past with fruit inside of it, that firms up ultimately, but this appears to be more of a sauce than an actual firm end product. It sounds good to me, though, since I like jello, fruit, custards and puddings, and also jams, and it seems along that line.

Reaction score
I've had kisiel, and was surprised that this question is under cake! I would definitely label it as dessert - it's far to liquid to be a cake and is not at all as firm as jello. I would describe it more like a thickened juice / sauce / sweet soup. (However the 'thickness' maybe varies depending on where it is made?)

I make a variant for Christmas by cooking cranberries into a sauce, adding good amount of sugar and cinnamon - passing through a sieve, and adding raisins and thickening with potato starch.

Ask a Question