Has anyone ever made croissants with coconut oil?

Reaction score
I've never made croissants before but I'm thinking of delving into the seemingly quite extensive process, and I was thinking, how about using coconut butter/oil instead of traditional butter..
Has anyone tried it?

Reaction score
I love warm from the oven croissants. I have never tried any substitutions with my recipe though. Do you think it would give them a distinct coconut flavor? I am uncertain if I would like that if it was the case. If you try it please share and let us know how it affected the taste if if it did at all please. Good luck.

Reaction score
I would try it if it would actually give it a coconut flavour 'cause that sounds really nice!

Reaction score
I would try it if it would actually give it a coconut flavour 'cause that sounds really nice!

The thing with coconut oil for me is I love the scent/flavor, but I'm always waiting for the sweetness that processed coconut has taught us should come afterward. I need to learn to appreciate the coconut flavor for what it is. >.<

Reaction score
Not all coconut oils have a strong flavor. There are some versions of it that are more processed to remove the strong flavor, and there are some that are minimally processed to that have the stronger aroma and flavor. It should specify it on the label. Some people prefer the oils to be less processed and enjoy the flavor it imparts on their dishes. I don't mind coconut oil personally, it's different from butter, but it has a sweet creaminess in its own right as well. I use it a lot in places where I would previously use butter, such as scrambled eggs or grilled cheese sandwiches and it works fine.

I would be more concerned about the texture of the croissants - if the coconut oil will be able to impart the same airiness to them. I would think it should, off the top of my head, but I've never tried it for those.

Reaction score
I understand why you would want to bake croissants with coconut oil , because of the great heath benefits offered by coconut oil. Croissants are known for their flakey buttery taste. Without the richness of the butter you just have flakey roll. You also have to think about the over all structure of this pastry . They may not holds their shape and could collapse or become a soggy mess instead of a clayed delight. I suggest you try this out in a small batch first.

Ask a Question