Has anyone tried baking with raw honey?

Reaction score
I recently started using raw honey for its super health benefits, and now I'd like to use it in my baking. I know I know there are plenty of recipes that use honey, and there is even a 'baking' honey you can get now too. But, has anyone ever used raw honey in their baking? Aside from (obviously) killing all of the goodness out of it, does it behave in the same way that pasteurized honey does if it's used in baking?

The raw honey does have a superior taste to the pasteurized, but it's very runny, and I wonder if anyone has any experience of using it in their baking?

Reaction score
The most obvious way to bake with it is to make honey buns, which I really love. You can also use honey as part of the glaze for just about any baked sweet bread such as pecan rolls, etc. I love the taste of raw honey and use it every chance I get.

Reaction score
Raw honey definitely tastes better than regular honey, and I hope it tastes better in baking too. I'm going to try a spiced honey cake over the weekend, and see how it goes. It has a nice honey glaze on the top too - looking forward to it. :)

Reaction score
I have never used raw honey in my baking but i have read somewhere that pasteurized honey is best for baking and cooking temperature should be reduced by 25 degrees as honey will make your bake goods brown more easily.

Reaction score
I have never used raw honey in my baking but i have read somewhere that pasteurized honey is best for baking and cooking temperature should be reduced by 25 degrees as honey will make your bake goods brown more easily.

Yes, that's true about honey burning easily. Thanks, kammy.

It seems that some people say it's ok, and others are not so keen. Maybe trying it out will be the only way of finding out. BTW, I found this little piece on a website called Organic Gardening and Homesteading, which might interest you:

"A Healthy Choice

Honey is better for you than sugar because it makes your blood sugar rise at a much lower rate than sugar. The slower your blood sugar rises, the longer it will take to drop down again. No sugar roller coasters! But this is only true for raw honey, so always look for a local brand of raw honey. The honey you buy in the store is usually processed, which means it has been heated to the point where the nutrients are gone and you have nothing left but sugar and no nutrients.

But do keep honey away from children under two. Babies under twelve months and diabetics need to steer clear from honey. Raw honey has bacteria in it that could be fatal to an infant.

The darker the honey, the stronger the flavor is likely to be, so keep that in mind when you are purchasing honey.

Baking Tips

When substituting honey for sugar in any recipe, use equal amounts up to one cup. If your recipe calls for more than one cup, then substitute less honey - approximately two thirds to three fourths of a cup for every cup of sugar. Also, if you are using more than one cup of honey in a recipe, then you will need to reduce the amount of liquid by one fourth of a cup for every cup of honey you use.

When baking with honey, you will need to lower your oven temperature 25 degree Fahrenheit and watch it carefully. Honey burns easily.

If you plan on using a recipe that doesn't already call for baking soda, you will need to add one fourth of a teaspoon of it for every cup of honey you use. It will help your baked goods rise when baking with honey."

Reaction score
Yes, that's true about honey burning easily. Thanks, kammy.

It seems that some people say it's ok, and others are not so keen. Maybe trying it out will be the only way of finding out. BTW, I found this little piece on a website called Organic Gardening and Homesteading, which might interest you:

"A Healthy Choice
Honey is better for you than sugar because it makes your blood sugar rise at a much lower rate than sugar. The slower your blood sugar rises, the longer it will take to drop down again. No sugar roller coasters! But this is only true for raw honey, so always look for a local brand of raw honey. The honey you buy in the store is usually processed, which means it has been heated to the point where the nutrients are gone and you have nothing left but sugar and no nutrients.

But do keep honey away from children under two. Babies under twelve months and diabetics need to steer clear from honey. Raw honey has bacteria in it that could be fatal to an infant.

The darker the honey, the stronger the flavor is likely to be, so keep that in mind when you are purchasing honey.

Baking Tips
When substituting honey for sugar in any recipe, use equal amounts up to one cup. If your recipe calls for more than one cup, then substitute less honey - approximately two thirds to three fourths of a cup for every cup of sugar. Also, if you are using more than one cup of honey in a recipe, then you will need to reduce the amount of liquid by one fourth of a cup for every cup of honey you use.

When baking with honey, you will need to lower your oven temperature 25 degree Fahrenheit and watch it carefully. Honey burns easily.

If you plan on using a recipe that doesn't already call for baking soda, you will need to add one fourth of a teaspoon of it for every cup of honey you use. It will help your baked goods rise when baking with honey."

[/QUOTE

Pattycakes this post is very informative especially the baking tips and how one should go about substituting honey for sugar in any recipe.

Reaction score
Yes, kammy - I found it really useful too; in fact the whole website made very interesting reading!

I am so into my raw honey that I like to use it every which way that I can. I made homemade granola yesterday and used raw honey in it, and I'd love to get some more ideas for baked treats and especially cookies if I can.

Raw honey tastes so much better than any of the pasteurized honeys, and even though it kills all the good stuff in the honey, I would still prefer to use it in baking and cooking for its superior taste. Besides, I eat enough of the raw stuff by the spoonful anyway! ;):)

Reaction score
Yes, kammy - I found it really useful too; in fact the whole website made very interesting reading!

I am so into my raw honey that I like to use it every which way that I can. I made homemade granola yesterday and used raw honey in it, and I'd love to get some more ideas for baked treats and especially cookies if I can.

Raw honey tastes so much better than any of the pasteurized honeys, and even though it kills all the good stuff in the honey, I would still prefer to use it in baking and cooking for its superior taste. Besides, I eat enough of the raw stuff by the spoonful anyway! ;):)

Pattycakes i have never used raw honey in my bake products but i use it as a sweeteners in my teas and it's just so tasty.

Ask a Question