Has anyone used essential oils as an ingredient substitute?

Reaction score
I have a friend from Luxemburg. She is actually German and her husband is Italian. They love to cook and they also love essential oils. One of the things they do which I had never head of before was use the oils as a substitute when they didn't have the actual ingredients. For eg. they have baked with cinnamon, rosemary, and basil oils. I have eaten the product and it was very good. Then they have these on hand for there other uses like colds, flu's, massage oils. Etc. Has anyone else every heard of using this before? Are there any risks involved with baking with an essential oil?

Reaction score
I have never heard of using essential oils in food before! I mean, I believe using different extracts are probably safer then using oils, but if the oils are organic, I can't see what harm there could be?

Okay, so I used my Google-fu and I got this.

Many essential oils are suitable for use as a flavoring and are safe for human consumption. Used sparingly, these powerful, all natural oils can add intense flavor and aroma to candies, chocolates, frostings, baked goods, soups and marinades.

So apparently, it's all good! :p

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I didn't think of goggling it! Great idea. I did find some of the flavors of my friends dishes to be strong so now I know that I just have to be careful in how I use it. I think flavors like rosemary and basil would be great in a pasta sauce!

Reaction score
Wow, I've never even thought of that before. I mean, it would be a great alternative when you've run out of fresh herbs or when your dried herb stock isn't quite up to par. I think you would have to keep an eye out, make sure that the oils you're using are of a good quality and can be used in food production. What I know of essential oils are that they are classified for use in aromatherapy, meaning they're really strong and shouldn't be used undiluted.

Reaction score
I have heard about lavender-infused baking goods before. I would imagine they use essential oils, because how else would they get that strong flavor? I know you can use chopped up lavender in baking, but it just doesn't produce that strong of a taste (in my opinion).

Reaction score
I would be very careful baking with essential oil , some of these have medicinal properties. Use a certain levels they could be harmful , some essential oils can be harmful for pregnant women. You should stick with extract and flavored oils instead.

Reaction score
I have never heard of adding essential oils as a food ingredient. I can imagine that they would add a great aroma to the food. I can smell chocolate chips cookies with a slight aroma of lavender.

Reaction score
I have been using essential oils in baking and cooking, especially the dried herb. Coconut Oil and Clove Oil are a great substitute in baking. I use these oils every now and then to add that extra flavor into my cakes, breads, cookies, and etc. These two oils really have a strong flavor and aroma, especially the Clove Oil.

Reaction score
My sister peddles EOs and when i was baking at her house, she suggested adding a few drops of a citrus herb oil to a plain yellow cake. WOW! The aroma alone was amazing! The flavor was more subtle, but also amazing. Similar to adding an extract, but all natural. But i don't see buying these crazy expensive oils to bake with...

Reaction score
Since essential oils can be toxic in the wrong proportions, I decided not to use them in baking. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Actually, a lot of the processed foods that we buy have essential oils among the ingredients. It's still not established if they are entirely harmful or if it's safe to use them. A few drops might be fine but that's it. Adding a few drops for flavor it's safe, as far as I've gathered from research.

Ask a Question