Have I found my people?

Reaction score
I started to bake when I was in the Coast Guard (almost 30 years ago.) I really wasn't very good at it. Since the availability of baked goods once you leave shore in the Atlantic is fairly limited, I was compelled to stick with it.

I actually got pretty good at pies and baking powder biscuits. Lately I've been feeling sad and stressed about the world in a general way. So, I decided fresh baked yeast raised products would make me feel better. It's true! Turns out kneading is cathartic!

I still can't make a moist cake from scratch, but I can work on that. Turns out brownies are easy enough.

Anyway hi from Long Island NY

Reaction score
Welcome. I certainly understand that sense of feeling sad about the world these days. It's at the point where I don't even want to read the news anymore. So baking really is a release. My zen time.

Reaction score
Hi! Welcome aboard!

I also understand what you mean about the world these days. I find baking to be therapeutic. That's actually how I got into cooking (which eventually led me into baking!). I was in college and found that, after a stressful day, getting in the kitchen and preparing a meal was oddly relaxing.

You've found your people :D

Reaction score
Yes, kneading is cathartic, but it is the aroma that gets to me. Bread is 'the staff of life' and has been since people found how to make flour from the grains. Filling, satisfying, flavorful.... What could be better.

If you are ready for a moist cake from scratch, try this:

Apple Snack Cake

1/2 cup Unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
Cream above, then add:
2 eggs - one at a time
Blend in:
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp lemon zest

2 cups regular flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp alspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt.
Whisk dry ingredients together then into the batter. Mix just until there are no streaks of flour left.
Fold in:
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples (peeled)

Pour into an 8 x 8 greased and floured pan.

Bake in 325 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Happy Baking!

Ask a Question