Have I lost my mind?

Reaction score
Lately, I have been going through some personal issues that have really affected me mentally. I feel as though I am going through a little situational depression, and it has made me lose my will to bake or do anything at home that I love to do. Many people use baking and cooking to soothe their pain, but I can't seem to get motivated to do anything right now. I purchased a couple of bags of chocolate chips, but can't get myself into the kitchen to make cookies. Does anyone else go through things like this?

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, Tina :(. I do, although I also have some chronic health issues and family issues that lead to anxiety overall and, I wouldn't be surprised if one professional opinion might be that I just have plain old depression, not so much situational.

Still, it's tough either way. How long have you been feeling this way? Are you feeling a lack of motivation or joy from everything- or moreso just your interest in cooking/baking/food? Situational or not, if you're dealing with a lot and really struggling it might not hurt to see someone...at the very least look into some CBT information, great stuff for dealing with feelings like that.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Tina! I hope things get better soon for you! I'm in a similar situation right now, going to see the doctor tomorrow... might get some really good or really bad news, I've been acting a bit weird as well. It's normal to act a little different if you are worried, anxious or stressed over something. Don't worry, once your problem is solved you'll go back to your former self. It is normal to feel depressed if bad things happen.

Reaction score
Hey Tina! If you think you're depressed, that's step one ... make a call and get in to see either your primary care physician or a licensed counselor / social worker. Depending on what is going on will depend on the measures needed to get you back on the road to happiness. Lots of people get situational depression - how quickly it's addressed will affect your healing. If not attended to properly, depression can deepen and cause further issues. Take care of yourself and make an appointment ... you'll be back in the kitchen making cookies soon!

Reaction score
@Tina Nord how bad are things really? Only you can answer this and only you can ask yourself this and only you can be honest with yourself for the answer.

I know I am suffering from depression right now. So does my doctor, but we have agreed that I don't need medication for it and that I will talk about it with my OH who has a very good shoulder to cry on. I have a lot to face right now, which I won't go into, but talking and acknowledging the depression are the way forward. Accepting you are depressed if this is the case, is the only way forward and it is not the major disaster you may envisage it to be if it is the first time you have been in this situation. You will find a lot of help and support available to you if you can acknowledge the problem and talk with your doctor. It does not have to be as frightening as it could be feeling right now.

Does anyone else go through things like this?
Yes, it is a normal response to stress and anxiety. I use humour to deal with mine.

How are the bag of chocolate chips? :p

Reaction score
At times like these, I focus and and I do bake and because it gives me a break from things. I bake simple things so I don't have to think too much like cupcakes and maybe a pasta bake as it means I can use up leftovers and having a clear fridge always makes me feel better.

Don't push yourself, but use baking as a means to escape for a bit. There are other issues I know, but others around you have to want to address them. Take baking time for yourself.

Reaction score
I have been feeling this way for the last couple of months, there was an issue that happened with my hub and in which some trust was lost. We have talked through it, but it still sometimes bothers me in the back of my mind.

The lack of motivation have affected a few areas of my life, but cooking and baking seem to be the worst. I normally love to do both of these things and right now it is hard to muster up the energy. I wonder if part of it is just subconsciously punishing him in a way because he loves my cooking and baking.

Reaction score
I wonder if part of it is just subconsciously punishing him in a way because he loves my cooking and baking.
Without meaning this the wrong way, or more accurately wanting you to take it the wrong way, perhaps you are also punishing yourself as well because you have said there is a trust issue and at the back of your mind you are also not moving on, not wanting to let go and allow any kind of trust to creep back into the relationship. Humans are notorious for living in the past, not letting go and not learning to trust again. It is why we end up in such a mess and right now you could also be punishing yourself because you enjoy these activities and you know he likes you cooking. Not doing them punishes both of you at the same time.

It could perhaps be time to accept what has happened has happened and try to forgive and forget and move on for both your sakes.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
Thanks Connie, you did not make that sound wrong at all, and I think that part of me was refusing for forgive and forget for a little while. I am working on that now, and feeling a little better inside. It seems as though it is easier for many of us to focus on the negative, and the feelings associated with pain and hurt, as it is much harder to accept the fact that something bad happened and move on as a couple. This might be why the divorce rates are so much higher these days; because it is much easier for someone to dwell on the past rather than try to make the future brighter. All in all, the issues that happened between my other half and I are not so bad that we can't move past them. I am working on focusing on the future now and letting the past be the past. You can't change the past, you can only work on making the future better.

Reaction score
Tina, I hope you are feeling better. After reading your other replies I think I unbderstand what is going on, and totally understand why you feel the way you feel. I'm going tru a rough path as well, mostly because I'm focusing so much on the past, so much the past is ruining the present. I hope you find a way around this and can fix the things, sin't easy though, but it can be done.

Reaction score
Lets face it, we cannot escape the realities of life. Trials, problems, fear, worries, depression and stress will surely knocks sometimes in our life. That is why it is just normal that we might feel like out of our mind sometimes which affects to most of the things we are doing. Don't think too much and find ways to make you feel positive to all of these things.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Tina! I hope things get better soon for you! I'm in a similar situation right now, going to see the doctor tomorrow... might get some really good or really bad news, I've been acting a bit weird as well. It's normal to act a little different if you are worried, anxious or stressed over something. Don't worry, once your problem is solved you'll go back to your former self. It is normal to feel depressed if bad things happen.
I've been meaning to ask how your doctor's trip went. Six months down the road and I have not done any of my doctor's appointment. These days I am dealing with some many issues and unlike the OP poster, baking and other stuff I do at home helps me to mask what's really going on in my life. Even if not mask, get through another day.

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask how your doctor's trip went. Six months down the road and I have not done any of my doctor's appointment. These days I am dealing with some many issues and unlike the OP poster, baking and other stuff I do at home helps me to mask what's really going on in my life. Even if not mask, get through another day.

No bad news, but am not completely out just yet. I still need to check my spine. I am going to try not jump to conclusions. For me it works that way too, cooking helps me get my mind off things.

Anne, this night sound weird but I kind of sensed something before, maybe the words you used once gave me the clue. I hope things get better with you, I was in a similar situation and it was so hard. I really wish you a lot strenght , it I know you already have :)

Ask a Question