Have you been Fruit Picking this Fall/Autumn?

Reaction score
I live in the countryside so I have taken advantage of the Blackberries and Elderberries that are on the lanes. Last week I took a container with me when mypartner , my two fur kids and myself went for a walk. I managed to get a good supply, although some of the fruit is still rippening. I hade some left over apples that I also added to the pie. I was pretty happy with the results:-
black.jpg

I washed the fruit, cored and chunked the apples up and added some lemon juice onto the fruits. I sprinkled a mixture of 175g caster sugar and 2 tsps. of cinnamon onto a large dish and placed the fruit in with it.

crumble.jpg

I then mixed 225g of flour and 175g of butter and rubbed it together to look like breadcrumbs. I also added some 2 Tbsp. desiccated coconut and 55g of brown sugar into it for added flavour.
Pop it in the oven for 45 mins in a preheated oven.

crumble2.jpg

Reaction score
Oh now that does look so very good. We have not picked anything this year. I really missed out on the blackberries, blueberries and strawberries. I am hoping with the fall weather coming we will be able to pick some apples and pears!

Reaction score
OMG those are beautiful.

I haven't been fruit picking in years, the last time was blackberries as well. When I was a kid they were my favourite behind climbing fig trees :)

Reaction score
Fig trees? Oh your so lucky to have been able to do that, I love figs.
My other half said that when he went to pick up the car the other day that he walked passed a plum tree and he stopped to eat some. We went out to try and find it and we just cant seem to spot it! The house down the lane from us has 4 Apple trees and they are starting to rippen. I think I may have to knock on the door and ask if I can have some ;) Would be shame to see them go to waste

Reaction score
Thanks for the post and recipe. Looks scrumptious. Now ELDERBERRIES!!! I used to pick them in the midwest with my mom and she made them into the greatest jams and treats. Thanks for a wonderful memory.

Reaction score
Thanks for the post and recipe. Looks scrumptious. Now ELDERBERRIES!!! I used to pick them in the midwest with my mom and she made them into the greatest jams and treats. Thanks for a wonderful memory.
Your very welcome. I am looking for other things to do with Elderberries as we found a fair few trees that are bearing fruit. Time to get the distiller out as well I think!;)

Reaction score
I've only gone fruit picking once in my life and it was at one of those U Pick strawberry places where you pay by the pound for the fruit you pick. I live in the city so I don't get to pick fruit regularly.
OP, those berries look fantastic.

Reaction score
I haven't, but I want to real soon! I'm 9 months pregnant, and I really want to go pumpkin picking before the holiday arrives, because our little one is due on Halloween! It'd be cool to have some nice Jack O' Laterns at home for his arrival. I love that I'm having a holiday baby! I also would like to go apple picking.

Reaction score
Oh yes Halloween isnt far awya at all. I think I may do pumpkin carving this year although I will have to go picking in the Supermarket as they dont grow here:(
Wouldn't your house look all lovely and light upwhen you bring little one home? keep us posted how you get on

Reaction score
We are planning to take the kids on a hay ride and pumpkin patch pick in October. We will get our pumpkins to make the Jack-o-Lanterns from the patch. I am looking forward to it.

Reaction score
I haven't been fruit-picking yet this autumn because I live in a city, so there's not many places where wild fruit grows. However, my grandparents gave us a whole load of apples a few weeks ago which they'd grown over the summer. I used them to make apple and cinnamon muffins and they were delicious. I wish there were more places I could pick fruit around here, I love fruit-picking.

Ask a Question