Have you bought an easy bake oven for their son?

Reaction score
One of my friend's son wanted an easy bake oven for Christmas. She had no problem buying it for him. However, his father felt differently. After much arguing, he (the father) finally agreed to get this gift for his son. The whole incident made me wonder who else in the world has bought an easy bake over for a boy child. To me, it's really no big deal. Plenty of chefs are male.

121218_DX_EasyBakeOven.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg
Boy's Easy Bake Oven

Reaction score
I did and I was glad too. I'm not into the girl toys/boy toys thing. My son had a small issue with the fact they only sold pink, which I assume means only girls belong in the kitchen lol.. but it wasn't issue enough to put it back and he's since learned colours aren't for specific sexes either. So it was a learning experience as well ;)

He loved it.. for a few short days and then it was back to the big oven lol

Reaction score
There is no reason why an Easy Bake oven can’t be purchased for a boy. I would buy one for my son who is 6 but we already have one I bought his older sister a few years ago and we all love using it. I do think they need to be gender neutral colors as opposed to pink or purple implying that only girls are using them but it doesn’t really matter either way because my son loves the color pink because that is mommy’s favorite color. Last year I let all my kids pick out what winter hat and gloves they wanted and he wanted a pink snow hat and you bet your you know what I let him have it! I want him to learn he can be who he wants to be, not what society thinks he should be. :D

Reaction score
I would totally buy the purple Easy Bake oven for a boy if I had a son. I'm a Prince fan and I don't think Prince stays up at night worrying about what people think of him for wearing purple. For a while, the color pink was hot with the hip hop crowd and I saw photos of Kanye West wearing a pink polo shirt.

I don't believe that colors have to be gender specific, but it would be nice if they made a silver or aqua Easy Bake oven for kids who don't like pink or purple.

Reaction score
There is no reason why an Easy Bake oven can’t be purchased for a boy. I would buy one for my son who is 6 but we already have one I bought his older sister a few years ago and we all love using it. I do think they need to be gender neutral colors as opposed to pink or purple implying that only girls are using them but it doesn’t really matter either way because my son loves the color pink because that is mommy’s favorite color. Last year I let all my kids pick out what winter hat and gloves they wanted and he wanted a pink snow hat and you bet your you know what I let him have it! I want him to learn he can be who he wants to be, not what society thinks he should be. :D

Good girl! Drives me bonkers when people shove beliefs into little minds.. this is just one of many that gets me going. My guy wasn't raised like that either and one year, he wanted a baby doll. So we took him out and he picked one. Oh my gawd, the looks and comments we got; it was absolutely revolting. I do appreciate those types of days though, because they open the door to conversations with my kids and we always come out better for it. My son wants to be an animator when he grows up (so far), but the one consistent goal he's had is being a Daddy just like his. Why is taking care of babies a girl thing exactly? lol.

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with a boy having an Easy Bake oven if that is what he wants! That said, they could make one in a "gender-neutral" color to make the whole process a bit easier. It might go over a bit better.

Reaction score
I wish I could find the picture that someone shared with me on Facebook, but it was pretty eye opening. It basically showed what toys looked like in the 70's vs. what toys look like now, and it clearly demonstrated how heavily certain toys have been "pink washed" to insinuate that only girls should play with them (which also in turn implies the opposite, that it's not "girly" to play with other toys). I can't believe the toy industry actually devolved into such a sexist purveyor of pushing gender roles onto kids like that. The people buying these toys now are my generation and around my age, and I'm shocked there's not more outrage over this. For crying out loud, we grew up in the 70's and 80's when there were plenty of gender bending looks in mainstream pop media. We should know better than to impose certain expectations on younger people based on their gender.

I say go for it, or maybe even get him a real toaster oven!

Reaction score
One of my friend's son wanted an easy bake oven for Christmas. She had no problem buying it for him. However, his father felt differently. After much arguing, he (the father) finally agreed to get this gift for his son. The whole incident made me wonder who else in the world has bought an easy bake over for a boy child. To me, it's really no big deal. Plenty of chefs are male.

121218_DX_EasyBakeOven.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg
Boy's Easy Bake Oven

Yes, I have! There is nothing wrong with boys wanting to bake, and my sons, as well as daughters all have had their turn with the Easy Bake Oven. Well, not my toddler, yet lol.

Reaction score
I wish I could find the picture that someone shared with me on Facebook, but it was pretty eye opening. It basically showed what toys looked like in the 70's vs. what toys look like now, and it clearly demonstrated how heavily certain toys have been "pink washed" to insinuate that only girls should play with them (which also in turn implies the opposite, that it's not "girly" to play with other toys). I can't believe the toy industry actually devolved into such a sexist purveyor of pushing gender roles onto kids like that. The people buying these toys now are my generation and around my age, and I'm shocked there's not more outrage over this. For crying out loud, we grew up in the 70's and 80's when there were plenty of gender bending looks in mainstream pop media. We should know better than to impose certain expectations on younger people based on their gender.

I say go for it, or maybe even get him a real toaster oven!

Is this the picture you were looking for of the pink-washed toys? It is a dramatic difference between the 70's toys and today's all-pink section at Toys R Us.
It basically forces parents to not buy domestic toys for boys because they're all pink.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Seventies--cost-little-girls-self-esteem.html

Reaction score
I agree there should be some toys that are more gender neutral in color, but I also know men (very masculine ones) who love the color purple.

I never bought my son and easy bake oven, but I did divide cake mixes up into portions for my sons to cook in the real oven, in the little pans for the easy bake oven. They both like to bake (and eat cake). They have also turned into very creative cooks and bakers.

Reaction score
The easy bake oven is now gender neutral. A child complained to the company that there should be a version for boys too. They listened and made one in blue / One in purple/pink and I think there is also a
silver on too. I am not sure why it took them so long to this , how could they not know that boys love to cook just as much as girls ?

Reaction score
My son wanted an Easy Bake Oven two years ago for Christmas. I bought him one and he loved it! The mixes weren't so great so what I did was buy our regular cookie mixes and mixed the batter up. My son let his easy oven bake us some cookies. He learned responsibility. I would never downplay a child's willingness to learn how to cook.

Reaction score
I don't think there should be any worries about buying a boy an oven. It breeds creative thinking and hands on skills. Some of the greatest chefs and bakers in the world are men so if he wants an oven, I say he should have one.

Reaction score
I've never bought an Easy Bake Oven specifically for my son because my son has an older sister that already had one and I really don't see the point in having two of them in the house. However, I have bought cooking kits and such to go with the Easy Bake Oven for my son. I think that it is great that he has an interest in cooking.

Reaction score
I don't have kids, but if I had a son that wanted one, I would have no problem buying him one. I really hate how toys are in categories, the whole idea that an easy bake oven can only be used by girls. I think it's good to encourage cooking skills in either gender!

Ask a Question