Have you ever baked anything in the dishwasher?

Reaction score
I watch a TLC show called "Extreme Cheapskates". The craziest thing I have seen on this reality series are people baking a food item such as lasagna in their dishwasher. They normally put the food item on the top rack, covered with foil, and their dirty dishes on the bottom.

Have any of you ever done this?

Reaction score
I didn't even know my dishwasher could get hot enough to cook something.

Would never cook something in the dishwasher. It just seems disgusting.

Reaction score
I watch a TLC show called "Extreme Cheapskates". The craziest thing I have seen on this reality series are people baking a food item such as lasagna in their dishwasher. They normally put the food item on the top rack, covered with foil, and their dirty dishes on the bottom.

Eeew this doesn't sound like a good idea! Did it actually work?

Reaction score

Are you serious???? I have heard of cheap folks, but I think that's a little too much!! Does the dishwasher even get that hot??? I don't think that's a very good idea, well, at least not one I'd try. I want to save money when I can, but not to that extreme. After all, if we don't spend it, what is it good for? Tomorrow's not promised!

Reaction score
Oh wow! haha, I've never in my life heard of something like that. I can't even imagine the dishwasher getting hot enough, but hey.. whatever floats your boat lol.

Annnnnd now that you bring it up, I can't fight this overwhelming urge to experiment for the fun of it :p

Reaction score

Sure I haven't done such a thing, but wouldn't do it either in a extreme situation of either poverty or cheapening.

However here is a fact to remark; is this show the real thing? I mean, an extreme cheapskate would start by not buying a dishwasher when one can save loads of money washing dishes by hand.

Reaction score
I heard of fish in the dishwasher, it poaches it supposedly. Not a big fish eater anyway, so I think I will pass on this one!
goodness.....

Reaction score
Wow. LOL. No, I have never cooked anything in the dishwasher and never would. That sounds really gross. How did it work out for them? That's such a silly idea. I hope it turned out okay for them.

Reaction score
That is crazy. I would never even think to do this but it I have seen a couple of the shows and the things they do for food is amazing. Goat head marinated in wine just to name one. I can't imagine risking the hard work and amazing flavors of lasagna by cooking it in a dishwasher. Yikes. Someone on here should try it and let us know.

Reaction score
Wow. I don't think the money you'll save doing this is worth it for what you're doing to your food. This just seems like a really cheap way to make food and what if the foil breaks?

Reaction score
Wow ok that's really bizarre, I've never thought of baking anything in a dishwasher! I mean it's a dishWASHER! Lol, epic man what's next, steaming veggies in my pool pump!:eek::D

Reaction score
I have never tried it, and wouldn't for many reasons. First off, I don't even wash dishes in my dishwasher! I know it gets hot enough, but how does it save money? Even if you use foil to cover the baking pan in the oven, you'd have to use a whole lot more of it to bake in a dishwasher.

You wouldn't be able to fill the dishwasher with as many dirty dishes, dishwashers aren't exactly cheap to run, the hot water heater first has to heat the water, the dishwasher runs for longer than it would take in the oven, if you accidently didn't get it sealed extremely well you could end up throwing it all out.

If they really wanted to save money, not just get on a tv show, I'd think they would just bake double lasagna and freeze one, or bake bread or something else was long as the oven was on.

But then, I've never fried eggs in my toaster either. Guess I'll never get my 15 min of fame for being a nut case. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
This is the strangest thing I've ever heard of. I don't know how hot it gets inside my dishwasher or what cycle to put it on. I can't even think of a good reason to try it. It can't possibly enhance the flavor or texture of food.

Reaction score
You don't have a lasagna setting on your dishwasher? How odd, you must have a cheap model. The expensive ones have setting for lasagna, brownies, cake and bread. With bread it has a pre-soak to rise the bread, then a 2 hour rest period before it bakes the bread.

While you are washing your dinner you can put your dirty prep dishes in the microwave in a large bowl with soapy water, push the button for "squeaky clean":eek::rolleyes:

Reaction score
I am on the same boat as everyone else: Extreme Cheapskates is NOT a good model for new culinary ideas! I saw that episode, and while the woman thought she was being clever by using less energy to cook her lasagna in the dishwasher rather than the oven, it actually took her way longer to cook, and her guests complained that the lasagna was undercooked and SOGGY. Eww! :confused:

Reaction score
Oh. my. gosh.

She served her dish-water-logged lasagna to guests ?? I thought she was just stupid, turns out she's stupid and rude.

Reaction score
Cooking in the dishwasher?

I have a hard time believing this doesn't have serious health risks. The water is bound to penetrate small gaps in the foil's seal, leaving some of the dishwasher cleanser behind. I can't even bring myself to think about microscopic bits of food and bacteria sitting on the food's surface.

The emergency room visit, once food poisoning develops, would wipe out any of the supposed savings.

Reaction score
No never even thought my dishwasher could cook my food but eeewwww how gross is that! That's taking it too far.

Reaction score
No, I haven't done it myself and I don't think it's actually going to save any money either. I have an ex who swears by cooking salmon in the dishwasher, but I never got to try it while I was with him. I see it as somewhat gimicky instead of something that's actually worth doing.

Ask a Question