Have you ever made a dump cake?

Reaction score
My mother always made this cake for the dessert contest at my father's annual work picnic. She would win almost every year and what I love about this cake is that it is so very easy to make.

You need: a can of crushed pineapple, a can of cherry pie filling, a white box cake mix and two sticks of butter.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Dump the pineapple and cherry pie filling into the bottom of your cake pan. Then evenly sprinkle the cake mix over the fruit. Cut the butter into pats and distribute those around the top of the cake mix. Cook for 45-50 minutes in the oven.

I always think this is the best topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and served warm.

Reaction score
I've never heard of a dump cake to be honest.

Does it turn out very "cakey" or crumbly?

Reaction score
I really think that the best way to describe it would be similar to a cobbler or something like that. It isn't really cake like and it really isn't crumbly either. It is just really tasty. The butter melting into the cake mix does give it a really nice consistency.

Reaction score
I observed the making of this recipe at a friends house many years ago, and it was very tasty. Congrats to her for winning. It's definitely a good recipe, and so easy. I might one day buy a gluten free cake mix and see if it works.

Reaction score
I have never made a dump cake but this is something i would love to do. With some many new flavors of cake mix on the market I think you can make some exciting dump cakes, I have found a recipe for a pumpkin pie dump cake that I would love to try.

Reaction score
Dump cakes are kind of trendy right now and there are tons of recipes for them on Pinterest. I haven't made one yet but it's on my list of things to make.
I'm not going to buy that dump cake cookbook that the infomercial lady sells because the same recipes can be found online, and that's probably where she got them.

Reaction score
I'd never heard of a dump cake before either !
After googling some images they kind of look like what we call crumbles here in the UK
x

Reaction score
Never heard of this ''cake'' before, I might give it a try one of these days, but not anytime soon because I am trying to drop some pounds :p It sounds very fatty, but tasty! Definitely something I'll want to try at least once during my lifetime, hehe ;)

Reaction score
Dorrannmwin: My ex mother in law used to make a dump cake using the ingeredients you listed. However, she melted the butter and added coconut and chopped nuts to the topping. It was always so yummy. She served it warm with either ice cream or cool whip on top. I have also substituted canned strawberry pie filling and peach pie filling for the cherry filling. I have seen several "dump" redipe books online that have both sweet and savory "dumps."

Ask a Question