Have you ever tried a date, walnut and coffee cake?

Reaction score
I came across this cake when searching for coffee flavoured cakes - I love my coffee flavoured cakes!! You soak the dates in coffee to begin with, then put them into the cake mix all plump and lovely.

I've made date and walnut cakes in the past, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had come across this before I make it and decide I don't really like it. I make coffee and walnut cakes regularly, but it's the coffee and date thing that I'm not sure about.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
To be honest I had never heard about the date thing, but the whole coffee cake thing sounds lovely. I might actually go for it next year, my SO loves coffee in general, am sure he will love a coffee flavored cake.

Reaction score
I've made date and walnut cakes in the past; it's a traditional cake that goes way back, and they're pretty good. I've also made a lot of coffee cakes - and coffee and walnut cakes - and they're delicious in every form!! Coffee is one of my absolute favourite things. I just don't know what to expect from coffee, date and walnut together though. I think I should just try it and report back......

If you/your SO are really into your coffee cakes, I've got some good recipes if/when you'd like to try some. :);)

Reaction score
I have heard of date cake, but not soaking dates in coffee. That sounds like a great way to plump them up so they are full of moisture and the flavor you are wanting for your cake.

All the date cakes I have had before, they dates were chopped up really small though, not whole. To me, dates seem a little bit to leave whole in something baked.

Reaction score
I can't say that I have tried that kind of cake, but it sounds delicious. I've only ever used dates in a recipe for banana and date muffins that we use regularly at our house (they're a firm favourite!). I love all things coffee flavored, and I also am a huge fan of walnuts for a nice textural crunch in baking -- so the cake sounds fabulous! I liked how you said the dates are actually soaked in coffee to make them plump up again...I think I'll have to have a look online and see if I can find myself a recipe for it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Ask a Question