Have you ever tried baking lavender shortbread?

Reaction score
I tried some lavender shortbread a few days ago, and they were really lovely. I've never baked anything with lavender in before, although I know there are cakes and other things you can do with it too. I can't say I've noticed dried lavender in the shops either. I do have a lot of lavender growing in my garden, and I could dry it in my dehydrator or simply hang it to dry I suppose.

Does anyone have any experience of baking with lavender. and how did it go? I wonder whether it's something best left to the experts! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I haven't baked with lavender because I had some lavender cupcakes that tasted poisonous ,like eating a lavender air freshener. Maybe the flowers were treated with something or maybe she put lavender potpourri in the cupcakes but there was a harsh floral taste. I guess not all lavender is food grade.

Reaction score
I haven't baked with lavender because I had some lavender cupcakes that tasted poisonous ,like eating a lavender air freshener. Maybe the flowers were treated with something or maybe she put lavender potpourri in the cupcakes but there was a harsh floral taste. I guess not all lavender is food grade.

Yes! It can quickly slip into soapy territory...use sparingly. mmm...potpourri cupcakes...

Reaction score
What does lavender taste like? Does it enhance the flavor of baked goods? Will you end up with you food tasting like one big flower? I love the way the herb smells but I don't think I want to taste it .

Reaction score
What does lavender taste like? Does it enhance the flavor of baked goods? Will you end up with you food tasting like one big flower? I love the way the herb smells but I don't think I want to taste it .

It does add a floral note, but if used sparingly it just translates into a beautiful savory flavor that works well with the sweetness. It's difficult to explain... You should try a lavender tea sometime and sweeten it with honey and you will understand. :)

Reaction score
I never knew people baked with lavender. I never have liked the scent of it so eating something with it in it, I couldn't imagine. Does whatever you're eating with lavender help calm you like the candles and such do?

Reaction score
I have never baked with lavender as a matter of fact it's the first i am hearing of it being used in baking products. Is lavender similar anyway to rosewater essence?

Reaction score

Yuk! Sounds awful. I think the baker must have overdone it - you only need a tiny amount I believe. I've eaten lavender shortbread from the store, and its actually quite nice, but very subtle.

I bought some culinary lavender when I was in (on) Kauai and used it in this shortbread recipe: http://www.mountainmamacooks.com/2011/08/lavender-shortbread-baby-shower-for-two-peas-and-their-pod/

I also infused some honey with it. It was so good in Earl Grey tea. Oh my gosh.

I don't know about using your own lavender, but I'm sure you can.

That sounds like nice recipe, thank you. I'm a bit nervous about using my own in case it's too overpowering. Maybe it does need to be food grade as someone said below?

Lavender with honey is delicious! My sister makes lovely lavender and honey ice cream - she does use food grade lavender though.

Reaction score
I've had lavender cookies before but could barely taste the lavender. Good to know that it can be easily overdone, since I do plan to bake lavender in something one day...probably dried, though, in a cookie or shortbread; if it's going to be in a cake or something soft that will be eaten right away, then I'd probably go for fresh.

Reaction score
That sounds incredible...lavender is one of my favorite ingredients but I really don't have much experience baking with it yet. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your own lavender. Using lavender honey is a great option, too, for some recipes =).

Reaction score
That sounds incredible...lavender is one of my favorite ingredients but I really don't have much experience baking with it yet. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your own lavender. Using lavender honey is a great option, too, for some recipes =).

Ooh lavender honey! As it happens, I've just been talking on another thread about using raw honey in some of my recipes, and I have a very good local honey supplier who has just pressed some very good lavender honey. I think this could be a match made in heaven! ;)

Reaction score
My aunt used lavender a lot, actually I have a very nice recipe from her that uses lavender in her cookie mix. It's just lovely!! I totally loved eating those with some coffee! I'll try to see find I can find that recipe later, or at least try to find a similar one online!

Ask a Question