Have you ever tried to 'bake' a cake on the BBQ?

Reaction score
During the summer months, we BBQ practically everything. I'm always on the look out for innovative ways to use the BBQ. I've seen some recipes for cake on the BBQ and was wondering if anyone here has actually tried this technique? If so, any tips?

Reaction score
I have heard you can do this by turning your grill in to an oven . You keep the top closed and it seels in the heat. I would be worried that my cake would taste like charcoal of apple wood smoke.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, NThomas, since we use a charcoal grill. I'm guessing this works better with a gas grill, but no, I've never tried baking a cake on any type of grill. It's a cool idea. I prefer to leave the oven off as much as possible in the summer, instead of heating up the whole kitchen.

Reaction score
We used to camp a lot when I was a child and my Mom always did cakes on the campfire. She used a cast iron dutch oven with the lid that has a rim on it. She would place it in the coals and them pile coals on top of the dutch oven. I am afraid I do not remember how long she cooked the cake because I was usually off somewhere fishing! But the cakes were delicious with just some cinnamin sugar or powdered sugar sprinkled over the top.

Reaction score
"Bake the cake on a BBQ?"...This is a nice idea because sometimes when our family bonds together and we had BBQ somewhere sometimes the kids are always asking a cake for our dessert. That is why we usually bring a cake already made ahead of time at home instead when we go BBQ. I just do hope one time I can try this idea for a change and an experience too. Thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
I have heard you can do this by turning your grill in to an oven . You keep the top closed and it seels in the heat. I would be worried that my cake would taste like charcoal of apple wood smoke.
I heard of this same method too. I haven't done a cake but once I prepared some pretzels to find my partner hasn't connected the oven to the gasline, so I used the BBQ. It took quite a bit of checking up on and the temp but they came out good. Idk if I'd try a cake though. Maybe start off with something smaller like cupcakes. LOL

Reaction score
No I have not tried and not likely to try it anytime soon. Maybe somewhere down the road when I can perfect the oven baking I will entertain the idea. I have to tell you it's not something I ever even gave a thought to until I saw this. Kudos to those of you who are up to challenge. The YouTube video did not give me any encouragement either.

Reaction score

Same here! Plus I bet the BBQ is loadd with carcinogens.... since well, it has been scientifically proved that meat does release carcinogens when exposed to really high temperatures for a period of time. Same with low smoke point oil.

Reaction score
Same here! Plus I bet the BBQ is loadd with carcinogens.... since well, it has been scientifically proved that meat does release carcinogens when exposed to really high temperatures for a period of time. Same with low smoke point oil.

I can't remember seeing this. I have to look into the carcinogen issue. I honestly find the whole grill and cake a stretch. I am honestly not looking to complicate my baking any further. It's already a science and that's enough for me.

Ask a Question