Have you ever used soda to bake a cake?

Reaction score
I keep seeing this infomercial for dump cakes. In it, the host uses soda (cola) as an ingredient in a cake. The end result is fine and according to the host tasty. This seems odd to me.

Reaction score
Considering that soda is high in sugar and just simple unhealthy for you. I would rather stray from using it in anything. Using soda in a cake recipe just seems silly to me as the only thing it would add is "flavor".

Reaction score
Yes, in a couple of ways. I've made the popular "7-Up Cake" before, which also called for pudding mix in addition to the cake mix. It was super moist - almost too moist, and really sticky to eat. It was good but insanely sweet.

The other way I've used it was just plain soda water. That's one of the ingredients in my grandmothers chocolate cupcakes (along with buttermilk and a few other ingredients I wasn't expecting). I guess the plain soda water does something to help them rise.

Reaction score
I've never used it myself, but I used to work in café and one of the head chef's specialities was a chocolate cake which had cola in it. I had a slice once, and it was pretty good! The cola didn't affect the taste but made it really nice and moist.

On the other hand, when I was at school and did home economics, we had to design our own muffins and one boy used Irn Bru. They didn't work at all, they just turned the cakes a sickly orange colour...

Reaction score
I keep seeing this infomercial for dump cakes. In it, the host uses soda (cola) as an ingredient in a cake. The end result is fine and according to the host tasty. This seems odd to me.

No, I have never used soda in a cake. This sounds like a great idea, though. Perhaps the soda could add extra flavor and help keep the cake moist.

Reaction score
I have heard of the 7Up Cake, but I have never made it. I've never used soda in cakes before. It might be something I'll have to try at least once just to see how it turns out. It sounds interesting enough to give it a shot.

Reaction score
I haven't used soda in a cake. I would definitely try it to see how it taste. What type of soda should be used? Pepsi is my favorite soda. I have put yogurt in a cake. I used yogurt instead of vegetable oil. The cake was moist and delicious.

Reaction score
Yes, I have tried making a cake with soda. I used the soda to substitute the eggs and oil. I used a chocolate cake mix and I used a can of diet soda to help eliminate calories. Specifically, I used diet pepsi. (The only two ingrediants I used for the cake was chocolate cake mix and a can of diet pepsi.) I followed the baking intructions on the back of the cake box like normal.
The cake was just okay. It was very moist, but the cake was also rather flat. I can honestly say it wasn't my favorite.

Reaction score
I have and I personally love it. I have always loved 7up cakes (And other lemon-lime variations if it wasn't available) except without the pudding mix like the previous poster mentioned. They stay most and yes, they are very sweet. Cake isn't really a healthy thing, to begin with, and I don't eat it often so I see no problem with it.

Reaction score
I agree that soda is loaded with sugar and caffeine but I have also tried it as a vegan substitute for oil and eggs. I used Sprite in that case, so I guess that cuts the caffeine factor. I don't know about the trade - off for sugar/fat compared to oil and eggs but I found the cake came out just fine. It didn't really taste like Sprite though, so I wouldn't do that again looking for it to taste like a certain soda. I have also tried a chocolate coca- cola cake that didn't really taste like coca-cola either. I think it's simply a novel idea if not very practical.

Reaction score
I've never done it, but it sounds good. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I don't see how the little bit of extra calories and sugar really make a difference with most cakes lol.

Kas

Reaction score
I've had the 7UP cake a couple of times. I think that is pretty good. I really liked it.

I have a Coca-Cola cookbook. I still haven't made anything in it, but I have been dying to make one of the Chocolate Coke cakes. I basically have not made it because I have been too lazy to go and buy cocoa (needless to say I haven't been making anything chocolate lately). The book also has other soda (Coke products) based cakes that sound pretty good. I think I will try this particular chocolate cake first, though.

Reaction score
I have had both cola cake and 7up cakes. I have liked both but have never done one myself. My daughter has done one using a yellow cake recipe and rootbeer that she rather liked.

Reaction score
I actually use cola for my sweet empanadas, but have never done it with a cake. I have heard you can get amazing results if you do tho, at least with boxed cakes, but not sure I'd dare to try with a cake mix from scratch.

Reaction score

Here, nothing seems odd anymore. Before I might have said "no way". I imagine that just as we "mix and match" with cooking, I imagine the same is true of baking. It's new to a newbie like me, but I can see how it would be tasty.

Reaction score
I've never baked anything with soda,but we use to soak a ham in 7 Up,before we cooked it,I haven't done that in years and we may have done a Turkey or two in it,but that was a long time ago and my memory is foggy on the birds :)

Ask a Question