Have you tried baking macarons?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I've been on a vacation in France and I can't get over their macarons. I've googled a few easy recipes and since I'm just learning how to bake, Im going to buy new equipment.

What's a good brand to buy? Is it really necessary to weigh all the ingredients when I bake macarons?

Reaction score
These cookies are so involved and have so many steps that I have been afraid to to attempt them. I saw a macaroon kit on line that loooked fun so I may have to get it and see what I can do.I have never tasted these cookies but they look so pretty I just want to try baking them.

Reaction score
I have baked macaroons and they are so easy to do but are delicate in keeping shape. Mine would fall apart so I'm not sure what I was lacking in. I want to retry baking these soon to see if I can master it.

Reaction score
The tutorial video that I watched suggested that bakers use a "template sheet" under a cookie sheet. This will keep the sizes of the macaroons consistent.

Have you tried this?

Reaction score
I have seen cooks with talent struggle with macarons on Masterchef and I'm not a talented cook, so I wouldn't even attempt them. Macarons look really hard and complicated to me.

Reaction score
I think they look very difficult but think I may give them a whirl. I will only make them for myself to start so if they don't look good it won't be an issue. I have to find a recipe, for some reason I have it in my head that these involve ingredients I don't currently have.

Reaction score
I really would love to, but I the complexity is keeping me from giving it a shot...hey, what's the worst that can happen? (hopefully they'll still taste okay even if they fall apart...)

Reaction score
Those macarons look so insanely difficult to make, that I haven't even bothered to try and make them. My friend did once, and the entire thing just basically exploded in her face. So, I can't really speak too much on the subject. (I also thought you were talking about traditional coconut macaroons at first, which is why I went into this thread, haha.)

Reaction score
I have made them. They are a bit difficult to make. Sometimes I mess up. But nevertheless, it ALWAYS tastes wonderful. I even burnt them once and it still tasted fantastic. A few helpful hints are to look up a few videos on youtube. There are many hints there. For example, LET IT DRY! When the tops dry before you put it in the oven, you are more likely to get the "feet". Also, don't understir or overstir. The batter should be kind of lumpy. About 45-50 folds does the trick. Recently I made cheeseburger style macarons. Unfortunately, this was the worst that my cookies have ever looked. I did something wrong. Still tasted about the same!
They are time consuming to make, but they aren't really difficult. If you want them to come out perfect, you will have to make sure you pay strict attention to detail and you most likely won't get the perfect shape on the first try. That's okay. I've made them about three times and I only got them perfect once (Luckily it was for Valentines day!). They always taste amazing.
I added a picture of my cheeseburger styled macarons. They were delicious!
cheeseburger.jpg

Reaction score
I tried to bake them once, they were so delicious but it was hard to keep them in their original shape. But it happened probably because I didn't stick to the recipe too much. You have to be very skilful with them and I hope you'll make it right.

Reaction score
I have attempted to do macarons once but I failed completely. I ended up with cookies that only taste like butter cookies. I can't seem to get how to make that typical macaron texture and also the overall flavor of the mix.

I'm not sure when I will try again but for sure I'd like to learn how to do it at home as most macarons sold in bakeshops are rather expensive.

Reaction score
I've never tried making them, but I did almost try. They seemed simple to make, yet with one of the recipes I found I was missing just one ingredient. This made me forget macarons and how delicious they look. Looking at some of these posts I guess they aren't that simple to make. I guess I have to up my baking skills to get these right!

Reaction score
Just the other day, I made some macarons for a family reunion we had. Macarons are pretty easy to make. Shaping them is really simple, if you take your time. They were so good, that they were gone in seconds lol.
clear.png

IMG_51178708994636.jpeg

Reaction score
Not only have I not (yet) tried to make them but I've actually never even tried them at all! I'm very curious and eager too though, it seems like almost everyone loves them. If they're not terribly hard to make on top of that fact, I might just make them myself to try for the first time :). Lovely pictures.

Reaction score
I had tried making macaroons already before when I am selling simple to bake pastries when I am not yet married. It is just easy to make and taste delicious too. Just missing making this kind of baking product. :)

Reaction score
I haven't tried making this kind of macaroon, because I always heard they were a pain to make.

I love the cheeseburger ones you made, wolfie. They are too cute.

The colorful ones that naturalbeauty posted look like they turned out perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Yeah, that meringue thing isn't easy to get, Zyni... At least not by just the hand!!! I tried to beat eggs to a meringue consistency a couple times in the past (for a different recipe), but failed miserably. Wouldn't try this one out without a good mixer... otherwise just forget it.

Reaction score
Everytime I bake macarons, they never develop feet. Do you guys have tips on how to make macarons with feet? I think macarons is the most difficult type of cookie to make. Do you guys agree?

Ask a Question