Healthier Bread

Reaction score
I would like to try baking my own bread at home. However, I want to try healthier options. Can you suggest healthier bread options at home. I'm so tried of the store brand breads.

Reaction score
When I baked bread a lot, I used a combination of whole wheat and white flour. Occasionally I would add oatmeal or different seeds and nuts. I also use some different kinds of flour mixed in with the white and whole wheat. I used rice flour, oatmeal flour that I made by blending the oatmeal until it was smooth. The kids always tried to guess what I had put in the bread!

Reaction score
According to this health blogger, the carbs that we've depended on so much might taste wholesome but, after digestion, our body can't really tell the difference between white bread, white rice, pasta and the same volume of candy. So...since I believe that blogger...healthier bread can be difficult to find.

Oatmeal is the healthiest alternative that I could think up. There are all sorts of other flours, some that keep the germ that's supposed to be the nutritious part of the whey seed, and the blogger that I mentioned did a review of one box of coconut flour bread that I found very intriguing.

That said, I go more for flavor than health every time, so... I'm typing this advice with a mouth full of leukomades, which is white bread dollops deep-fried in olive oil and covered in sugar. Maybe the honey-covered nuts that also top it, have some health value. Maybe.

Ask a Question