Healthier Cookie Choices

Reaction score
I ran across this yesterday and wanted to share. As I have gotten older, I am more health concerned not only for myself but for my grandchildren. Yet it would be just wrong to deprive us of our sweet tooth, so I have been hunting new more healthy treats. These are a pecan with cinnamon wafer cookie and I can not wait to try them. Tell me what you think about healthier treats.
http://tinyurl.com/molrzf9

Reaction score
I ran across this yesterday and wanted to share. As I have gotten older, I am more health concerned not only for myself but for my grandchildren. Yet it would be just wrong to deprive us of our sweet tooth, so I have been hunting new more healthy treats. These are a pecan with cinnamon wafer cookie and I can not wait to try them. Tell me what you think about healthier treats.
One of my good friends is vegan, as is her whole family. Her husband made one of those boxed chocolate chip cookie mixes with a banana and applesauce instead of oil and the eggs that it called for. I guess it is a little healthier although boxed mixes usually have lots of added preservatives. I try to sub applesauce(unsweetened) whenever I can for oil.

Reaction score
What an interesting idea substituting banana and applesauce for the oil and eggs. I must say I am intrigued by this and want to try it as soon as I am in the kitchen. Thank you so much for sharing, and it definately is the kind of recipes I am looking for.

Reaction score

It's great there are some healthier alternatives for diabetics, these look really good! I like experimenting with substitutions that can be healthier than some traditional ingredients like sugar ect...

Reaction score
Those look really tasty! Much as I love baking, I often ending up too much of the finished product and feeling guilty about it, so I might need to give these a go. I've also heard banana and oatmeal cookies are pretty healthy.

Reaction score
I think it's okay to eat a normal non-healthy cookie in moderation. I saw an idea on Pinterest to reduce the temptation to overeat cookies.
The tip was to make cookie dough, freeze the dough in balls on a cookie sheet and keep the dough balls in a bag or container in the freezer. When you want cookies, just bake a couple of the dough balls. That way you don't have to bake all the dough and have leftover cookies.

Reaction score
Those look really tasty! Much as I love baking, I often ending up too much of the finished product and feeling guilty about it, so I might need to give these a go. I've also heard banana and oatmeal cookies are pretty healthy.
Do you by chance know a good recipe for banana and oatmeal cookies? That sounds like something I would like to try.

Reaction score
I'll have to try that idea, ACSAPA! Unfortunately frozen cookie dough balls sound rather like an appealing treat as is.

I do try to eat healthier these days, but sometimes the healthy versions just don't stack up to the regular versions. For instance, some time ago I tried a "healthy" all natural brownie mix... and they were the worst brownies I had ever had. That was the only time we ever threw out brownies.

Reaction score
I like the idea of freezing the dough, but as a cookie dough lover, I'm not sure how long or how helpful that would be. I am very interested in substituting ingredients. I've tried the applesauce instead of oil for brownies and they still tasted pretty good. Going to try the banana idea for my next batch of brownies. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Ask a Question