Healthy Bakes

Reaction score
We are becoming more and more heath conscience, and people are looking for a heather alternative for snacks. Have you adapted any of your recipe to make them healthier? Is there a favorite recipe you use that is lighter on the fat and sugar? Is this something you are interested in doing? Does anyone have any tips for lightening up your baked goods?

Reaction score
I usually use applesauce instead of the oil - no one knows the difference. I also add shredded zucchini or carrots to my muffins to sneak the veggies by the kids. They don't mind!

Reaction score
I'm very interested in making my favorite things a little healthier- I have a few things stashed away on pinterest with healthy substitutes, though I haven't tried all of them just yet.

Reaction score
For me, we don't eat alot of sweets at home, I bake and pass it out. So for me, I don't really sub for health. Desserts are so delish with all that high fat content. LOL. Now, if there is a request for a healthier dish, like subbing oil with applesauce, or what ever it is, then I will do it on request.

Reaction score
I've seen that applesauce trick. Is it a 1/1 switch? Like, 1 cup of applesauce instead of 1 cup of oil?

Reaction score
I may give the applesauce a try, but I just don't know about the avocados. I'm not that against eggs. :) I've been thinking about giving gluten-free flour a try also.

Reaction score
I tend to use sugar alternatives when I bake and no one knows the difference unless I tell them. I used splenda in all my baking one year and no one could tell that there was no sugar in my desserts. They loved everything I made and asked for more.

Reaction score
I'm trying so hard to master healthier baking but it's soooo hard lol. I won't substitute certain fats. Fat is very good for you, adds flavour and without it you're often in need of more of what you don't want. Refined sugar and sugar substitutes are out though and for me, so is many of the oils and flavourings and.... pretty much everything! haha. I'll be keeping an eye on these boards though and I'll post anything I come up with (if anything actually works!)

Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to get into healthy baking. There are not many alternatives for certain people because everyone is different and what alternatives work for one person won't work for another. All you can do is experiment and find out what works. I am still looking for alternatives for my mom.

Reaction score
I know this may not be healthy, but when a recipe calls for water, I use milk. When the recipe calls for oil, I use butter, not margarine or oil. This makes box cakes taste so much better. I also use cooking spray instead of oiling the pan then flouring it.

Reaction score
My sister uses cooking spray instead of oil and flour on a pan as well. It's easier and healthier too. I like to do it the old fashioned way.

Reaction score
Well on a few occasions i have used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour and honestly i am not thrilled with the end product as my bake products doesn't have a refine taste...they are rather course.

Reaction score
Nope, I hate healthy cake and cookies. When I want something healthy, I eat a salad. If I'm going to indulge in baked goods, I use the original, unhealthy recipe and just eat in moderation.

Reaction score
Nope, I hate healthy cake and cookies. When I want something healthy, I eat a salad. If I'm going to indulge in baked goods, I use the original, unhealthy recipe and just eat in moderation.

:) This made me smile. I can well understand that you really don't want to tamper with your unhealthy recipes:). It's really a tough call for me as I only like tasty traditional recipes. The few times I have substituted any thing and it has mostly been flour, the outcome was not the same.

Some have offered some interesting suggestions that I will consider in the future. For at least my next couple of cakes I am going with ACSAPA's approach.

Ask a Question