"Healthy" Cookies for Children

Reaction score
My oldest son - only 2-years-old - has reached his picky-eating stage and because we had a month full of family birthdays back to back, he is now addicted to sweets and refuses to eat the regular food I've been feeding him for over a year now. He used to be such a wonderful eater but now he is refusing to eat at all. My mother suggested to me that I don't offer him anything but strictly healthy foods (we're vegetarian) until he gives up his obsession of sweets, breads, cheeses, and liquids other than water. I know that sounds reasonable because he'd probably give in by the end of the first day but I just hate to see him go without, even if he's doing it to himself. This is something I'm going to be working on but when things even out and he's a better eater again, are there any cookies I can make him that have very little sugar, preferably chocolate, and won't make him addicted to sweets again? I don't mind giving him a sweet every once and awhile, I just don't want him begging me for one every meal time or snack time, or worse: insisting on sweets instead of regular food. Thanks so much for your answers!

Reaction score
My 7 year old son is also a very picky eater...I hope this stage ends soon! I make oatmeal cookies with an assortment of fruits mixed in. Apple is usually a winner with all kids, so you could try adding apple bits and cinnamon to the batter.

Reaction score
I would suggest mini muffins. They are so cute and portable and you can make super healthy ones that taste yummy.
I would post some recipes, but there are so many to choose from ('healthy muffins pinterest" will give you a plethora!)
Also oats plus smashed banana plus over equals cookies! Easy, healthy, delicious. And you can add in raisins, mini chocolate chips or whatever.
http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/
Good luck with the little guy!

Reaction score
Thank you so much, everyone! I will definitely work on mastering an oatmeal and fruit cookie that he likes. He is crazy about green apples so I'll throw those in. As for muffins, I think it's so funny that you mentioned it because lastnight, my husband (he's a chef) made fresh blueberry muffins and although I've offered things like that to my son before, he's always refused to eat them because he's a chocolate-boy! But, to my shock and utter amazement, he ate the blueberry muffins! (I think it's just because Dadda offered it to him.) Anyway, I will definitely be making muffins now too!!! Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Zucchini muffins are awesome! I have the worlds pickiest eater(literally, lol) and he loves them.

Oh my goodness!!!!! I just began salivating! I LOVE zucchini bread and zucchini muffins! Okay, okay... this is about my son, not me. But, I definitely wouldn't mind making him zucchini muffins. :D

Reaction score
Oatmeal cookies are normally the healthiest that I could find, or any type of cookie that has peanut butter, and no butter in them are also very healthy, and its a cookie so he'll still think its sweet.

Ask a Question