Healthy eating

Reaction score
So recently I started watching what I eat :) I gained a few kilos last year, because well, honestly I was eating things I shouldn't, lol. Now I'm on the search of healthy recipes, mostly soups and salads, because you can never miss with those :) Not when you want ot lose weight at least. I'm searching in different sites, not only Pinterest, but other sites too :)

So far I have found some really good ways to cook chickpeas ;) And a lot different low fat, low calorie and high protein soup recipes. I was doing great losing weight the first week, sadly last week was a very stressful one and ended up eating things I shouldn't, plus I was invited to a birthday party :oops:

This week will be different though, I'm going to eat healthy again. No sugar during the week and eating more salads. Is anyone here also watching what they eat?

Reaction score
I always watch what I eat, but make sure I don't deprive myself. I like my cakes, cookies and pastries, but do limit them. Food should be enjoyed and this week I have had cheese scones for breakfast as I had a batch of them and they were yummy.

I balance it with a meal of vegetable soup and then maybe some noodles and vegetables. If I eat something like pizza, then I try to have only light snacks for other meals.

Reaction score
Yep - I am watching what I am eating. Over the first 2 months of being confined to bed I put on 7kg. Since then I have managed to dock that on its head, but can't loose anything because of the steroids I am on. They are driving me mad. My diet is down to less than 1500 calories a day until it made me ill. And around operations (I have now had 3 of them) I can't be on restricted calories either. But I won't stop the odd treat here and there, plus my daily dose of dates (which are a treat but also very useful in other aspects :eek:) is something I look forward to with relish.

I have to get my weight down by around 10kg.... it will take a long time, but for now I am happy just to keep it stable if I can until my back is better and I have my life back :(. No pun intended. :D Even getting my life back and my back better, plus learning to deal with the paralysis I have acquired is going to take most of this year away from me. :mad:

Reaction score
I always have to watch it. I found that keeping my carbs down and increasing healthy fats really helped. It sounds counter intuitive to increase fats, but fat burns more slowly than carbs so it keeps blood sugar more steady and keeps me feeling more satisfied longer. I think that's why it is so effective.

Reaction score
I'm definitely trying to, because I'm about 5 months post baby now and trying to get rid of the last of the pesky baby weight! Plus, I guess I just feel better overall - physically and emotionally - when I'm eating well. Of course I still treat myself from time to time (and as you can tell from my user name and membership on here I love to bake!) but I think overall my eating is pretty good. Today isn't a good example of that though, my eating and snacking most of all has been all over the place.

Tomorrow's a new day, right?!

Reaction score
I have been on the quest to find some healthy recipes as well, and I am trying to get away from eating so much meat simply because of how expensive it is getting. I can't really afford to pay $8 for a single cut of meat these days. I have found that there are a lot of exciting vegetarian options out there that are full of flavor. Here is the latest recipe I found, and it just happens to be a soup!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hearty-vegetable-soup

Reaction score
I have been on the quest to find some healthy recipes as well, and I am trying to get away from eating so much meat simply because of how expensive it is getting. I can't really afford to pay $8 for a single cut of meat these days. I have found that there are a lot of exciting vegetarian options out there that are full of flavor. Here is the latest recipe I found, and it just happens to be a soup!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hearty-vegetable-soup

Oh, I love a good vegetarian meal option! You're right, meat is so expensive that it's nice to be able to substitute other things for it. In our house we usually have at least one meat free dinner a week - I'm not sure if you've heard of the concept called Meatless Mondays? I read about it a while ago so usually on a Monday we have a vegetarian dish of some description. I like a lot of curries that are vegetarian and still quite hearty - I love lentils and stuff like that, lentil curries are amazing! And soups are always on high rotation here so I'll have to give the one you mentioned a whirl!

Reaction score
It had been already years since I am on a healthy diet as well as with my lifestyle too. It's a nice feeling having myself doing this way for a healthy way of life.

Reaction score
I am watching already.Watching it as I pop it down my mouth and sometimes at ridiculous hours. I really think I am trying though. I need to lost a good 25/30 lbs I think. No one has told me but I pretty see when I look in the mirror. Eating right calls for discipline which I am not consistently in possession of.

Reaction score
Hehehe, I get what you are saying. Lately it's hard for most things not to end up in my mouth, lol. Yesterday I went out for a while and ended up drinking a frappe coffee :p

Reaction score
I have noticed that red meat especially kind of sits in your stomach like a rock after you eat it and this could lead to that over stuffed feeling. I do not get this feeling when I eat lighter meats like fish, so there is an argument in itself why it is good to avoid meat. Meat is going to just be a rare treat for us soon.

Reaction score
Good to hear that, Tina. Been trying to do the same, actually we are having a lot metaless days at home now, my mom loves the idea of me making more soups and salads for her. For me it's a bit difficult sometimes because my stomach is a bit sensitive. I guess I must get used to that... I do need to lose the weight I gained last year.

Reaction score
Yep - I am watching what I am eating. Over the first 2 months of being confined to bed I put on 7kg. Since then I have managed to dock that on its head, but can't loose anything because of the steroids I am on. They are driving me mad. My diet is down to less than 1500 calories a day until it made me ill. And around operations (I have now had 3 of them) I can't be on restricted calories either. But I won't stop the odd treat here and there, plus my daily dose of dates (which are a treat but also very useful in other aspects :eek:) is something I look forward to with relish.

I have to get my weight down by around 10kg.... it will take a long time, but for now I am happy just to keep it stable if I can until my back is better and I have my life back :(. No pun intended. :D Even getting my life back and my back better, plus learning to deal with the paralysis I have acquired is going to take most of this year away from me. :mad:

I am so sorry to hear you have problems with your spine as well, it is terrible, if you don't mind me asking... was it a herniated disk? a cavernoma in the spine? You don't have to answer if you don't want :)

I also have to lose 10kg now, it sounds easy, but i know is not :( I hope your back is better soon, and you can lose that weight. Because I know how depressing it can be, specially if your doctor keep telling you all your problems are caused by the fact you are now heavier than last year (that was my story yesterday, lol). Let's hope for the best, keep enjoying those dates ;) I'd as well, but can't find those over here.

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear you have problems with your spine as well, it is terrible, if you don't mind me asking... was it a herniated disk? a cavernoma in the spine? You don't have to answer if you don't want :)
It would appear that I had a congenital fault of the lower spine. It had formed enough not to be a problem at birth, or even right up until the disk went. It didn't herniate. It shattered like ceramic. All of the contents found their way into the spinal column, damaging a blood vessel at the same time. Sadly it has left me with a partially paralysed leg and severe sciatica. Thankfully fusing L5-S1 has been the best thing that could have happened. I was up and walking the day after surgery, but sadly the paralysis of the leg has not improved, but I am considerably more comfortable and have no doubts that the surgery was the right move. Time is what I need now.

Let's hope for the best, keep enjoying those dates ;) I'd as well, but can't find those over here.
I can only get them online here as well. Getting them in the shop at any time outside of Christmas is not possible!

Because I know how depressing it can be, specially if your doctor keep telling you all your problems are caused by the fact you are now heavier than last year (that was my story yesterday, lol).
I'm sorry to hear that. It is not great when the tell you that. From my point of view they are telling me to use more morphine to take the exercise I need to take to get the weight off which will also help my asthma and my back as well! I really don't like taking extra morphine - I am scared stiff of getting addicted to it!

Reaction score
It would appear that I had a congenital fault of the lower spine. It had formed enough not to be a problem at birth, or even right up until the disk went. It didn't herniate. It shattered like ceramic. All of the contents found their way into the spinal column, damaging a blood vessel at the same time. Sadly it has left me with a partially paralysed leg and severe sciatica. Thankfully fusing L5-S1 has been the best thing that could have happened. I was up and walking the day after surgery, but sadly the paralysis of the leg has not improved, but I am considerably more comfortable and have no doubts that the surgery was the right move. Time is what I need now.

Oh I see! I can imnagine how scared you feel when they told you about surgery, or was it not so hard for you to take the decision? You must have trusted that surgeon a lot. Honestly I haven't found a surgeon I trust enough to go tru with a surgery, I am right now looking for second and even third opinions, we will see! And woah... that sounds horrible! How did that happen? Your disk shattering like that? Did you feel while riding a horse or somethingl ike that? I'm so sorry to hear about your sciatica, it's a horrible pain! Is your very severe? Do you have it everyday?

I'm sorry to hear that. It is not great when the tell you that. From my point of view they are telling me to use more morphine to take the exercise I need to take to get the weight off which will also help my asthma and my back as well! I really don't like taking extra morphine - I am scared stiff of getting addicted to it!

Wow... doctors can be idiots! So they want you to take more morphine in order to be able to exercise! Gosh, well, guess they don't think about the side effects! I was actually telling my mom the other day that maybe after a while I might end up being one of those people who takes morphine. I'm so sorry :( I understand how you feel, I had to take a really tough decision regarding to meds... it feels like you are against the wall! But the good thing is your weight is stable. I hope you feel better soon!

Reaction score
Oh I see! I can imnagine how scared you feel when they told you about surgery, or was it not so hard for you to take the decision? You must have trusted that surgeon a lot. Honestly I haven't found a surgeon I trust enough to go tru with a surgery, I am right now looking for second and even third opinions, we will see! And woah... that sounds horrible! How did that happen? Your disk shattering like that? Did you feel while riding a horse or somethingl ike that? I'm so sorry to hear about your sciatica, it's a horrible pain! Is your very severe? Do you have it everyday?

Wow... doctors can be idiots! So they want you to take more morphine in order to be able to exercise! Gosh, well, guess they don't think about the side effects! I was actually telling my mom the other day that maybe after a while I might end up being one of those people who takes morphine. I'm so sorry :( I understand how you feel, I had to take a really tough decision regarding to meds... it feels like you are against the wall! But the good thing is your weight is stable. I hope you feel better soon!

My disc went when I put the phone down and turned to walk away. No impact nothing, it was literally a ticking time bomb and it went and that was it. That is what makes my case unique so to speak. There was no trauma, no trigger, no warning signs before hand, no back pain, nothing prior to it going. Life just changed permanently in that moment and I spent the net 3-4 hours on the floor until my husband came home and bullied me into bed. Luckily I was upstairs when it happened and I stayed there for the next 4 weeks until I saw my first consultant.

Even before I saw the consultant I am now under, people were telling me how good he was, even people I didn't know. My physiotherapists were saying if it was a member of their family, then they would want they to be seeing him etc, even my dr hinted that he was the best in the area so that kind of helped. And although it was major surgery, I didn't really have a lot to lose. My right leg is partially paralysed as a result of this, my left leg has been slightly paralysed for over half my life and given that I could not sit at the time at all, the way I saw it, worst case scenario I end up in a wheelchair all the time. Well that hasn't happened thankfully, but I do have a wheelchair next door and now have a disabled badge....

As for the morphine, they would rather I get active and help the healing with my back etc. I'm on a time release tablet (well 2 of them) every 12 hours for time release morphine and I have liquid morphine to take as a top up. When I brought up the matter with my Dr, I was basically told that getting my life back and the benefits of taking the morphine outweigh the issues of being addicted to it and they will bring me off it as and when and if needed deal with any addiction if and when it arises! And they can give me medication to bring me off the morphine if needed. So I guess I just keep taking it and trust them. There are at least 4 of them all telling me the same thing as well as a friend who is training to be a nurse.

Oh and on the bright side of things and in keeping with the thread - I lost a 1kg last week! :D

Reaction score
Omg!!! Congrats on losing one kg!!! I'm glad things are starting to look up for you :) Well, if they are willing to help you deal with the addiction, then I'd say you should really give it a try. We all need activity. But I understand you do need time to think about it. But if you manage to lose that weight doing what you are doing now, then I think that'd be even better :) By the way, the guy who did your surgery, is he a neurosurgeon? or an orthopedic surgeon? I ask because my sister's first spine surgery was done by the latter. Went bad.

Reaction score
By the way, the guy who did your surgery, is he a neurosurgeon? or an orthopedic surgeon? I ask because my sister's first spine surgery was done by the latter. Went bad.
He is an orthpoedic surgeon with a background in neurology. Best of both worlds!

Ask a Question