Healthy Icing flavours

Discussion in 'Decorating' started by Winterybella, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

So when it comes to baking, I am always concerned about the healthy aspect of things. The sugar especially concerns me and I have some health worries there. I have to confess that even without health issues I have never been a fan of all the toppings, icing etc.

That said, there is nothing more interesting and exciting to look at than a cake that has a beautiful icing finish. With that in mind I decided to search and realized there are some options out there. Here goes.

http://elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-recipes/toppings/

Winterybella, Feb 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Awesome! I am also concerned about sugar in general, sometimes I feel so guilty about the icing I add to the things :p Great list, I'm not celiac, but those icing recipes sound like something I'd really like to try! I specially liked the chocolate dirt one =D

Trellum, Feb 7, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

The Vegan Chocolate frosting interest me but the picture does not make it look exciting. The whole vegan lifestyle is capturing my attention of late. I have been advised it's something I should consider to help with inflammatory issues. I am not sure vegan is a must right now,but it's something worth getting to know more about.

Winterybella, Feb 7, 2015
  4. Winterybella

Shimus Well-Known Member

I often feel the same way. I love my meats too much to go full vegan, but they have some to-die-for dishes that are actually very well thought out and planned (since they have to mitigate it).

A healthy icing flavor I could think of would be anything low-to-fat free but still tasted wonderful like carrot-cake-vanilla frosting or a healthy blend of fresh and finely chopped nuts and berries mixed with a dab of sour cream frosting to make it spreadable - there are plenty of nonconventional ways to make an 'unhealthier' frosting better for you. Unorthodox is the way of the future!

Shimus, Feb 9, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question