Heart-healthy bread that tastes good?

Reaction score
I realize the first thing that will come to people's minds is whole-wheat. I don't mind that, but I buy it at the store a lot, and it is somewhat dry and basically always the same. I am looking for something else, but retain heart-healthy qualities. I thought about rye or pumpernickel, but it sounds difficult to make. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Primalclaws, you have to stop doing this to me. I saw heart healthy bread that taste good and I got excited thinking you had some delightful recipe here for me. Anyway it's all good. I sends me to search and when I do I always find something to bring to the forum and something to learn from. We might have heard this before but it's a good reminder especially for me. Check this out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/06/healthiest-breads_n_1078520.html

Reaction score
Making bread with a sourdough starter is already healthier than using commercial yeast. Not difficult, though it might seem intimidating to begin. In terms of flours, try experimenting with rye. Really not scary, just requires somewhat less handling than wheat. Try spelt, Great taste and as easy as working with wheat. Einkorn is another that people like. I have not worked too much yet with that one.

I tend to add small amounts of teff, arrowroot, cornmeal and other flours, as well as flaxseed meal and caraway seeds, which both give a nice boost to taste. In terms of ease, try long fermentation (rising) periods in the fridge so you can make bread and live an actual active life outside the kitchen.

There's bread adventures in my blog, but lots if you read here or on other bread forums.

Reaction score
I just tried to search something related to this post. I am wondering what kind of bread is this Ezekiel Bread the first time I heard of it also.

Just sharing...

Why Ezekiel Bread is The Healthiest Bread You Can Eat

By Kris Gunnars |
views
young-woman-holding-a-slice-of-bread.jpg
Awareness of the harmful effects of wheat has increased quite a bit in the past few years.

Given that wheat is a large part of most people’s diets, many are looking for healthy alternatives.

Several people have asked me about Ezekiel bread, which is different from most other types of bread.

What is Ezekiel Bread?
Ezekiel bread is different for several reasons.

Whereas most breads contain added sugar, Ezekiel bread contains none.

It is also made from organic, sprouted whole grains. The sprouting process changes the nutrient composition of the grains significantly.

In contrast to most commercial breads, which consist primarily of refined wheat or pulverized whole wheat, Ezekiel bread contains several different types of grains and legumes:

• 4 types of cereal grains: Wheat, Millet, Barley and Spelt.

• 2 types of legumes: Soybeans and Lentils.
All the grains and all the legumes are organically grown and allowed to sprout before they are processed, mixed together and baked to produce the final product.

I’d like to point out that wheat, barley and spelt all contain gluten, so Ezekiel bread is out of the question for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.

This is what it looks like:

ezekiel-bread.jpg

Reaction score
I also find that the thin sandwich rounds you can buy and make are much more moist and tasty than regular wheat or healthy bread. I agree that wheat bread can be rather dry and I do not like using it much either unless I have a really wet sandwich filling like a chicken or tuna salad. The rounds are less "bready" and are much more moist, but they are more expensive than a loaf of bread.

Reaction score
Wheat breads do not have to be dry. Try adding more liquid than for breads made of white flours. Also try adding egg, coconut oil (or other oil), and/or butter. A little honey might also make a difference if you need some sweetness. That will soften the interior and be better for making a sandwich bread.

In terms of health, try a sourdough starter. It make any wheat more easily digested and has various health benefits.

Ask a Question