Heat and Baking

Reaction score
I guess I am going to slow down on my baking for a little while or at least not as much, do to this heat. It got up to 104 today here in Oklahoma and when I was in the kitchen baking it felt like a 110. Of course, I most likely will keep on baking but I sure wish it would cool down some. We only have one window unit to cool the living room, dining room and the kitchen, and a couple of fans to try and circulate and it can really get hot. During the day I have windows open and the fan in the windows, and we get a little breeze now and again throughout the house, but boy does it get hot when I start cooking or baking lol. How has the weather been where you live?:)

Reaction score
I guess I am going to slow down on my baking for a little while or at least not as much, do to this heat. It got up to 104 today here in Oklahoma and when I was in the kitchen baking it felt like a 110. Of course, I most likely will keep on baking but I sure wish it would cool down some. We only have one window unit to cool the living room, dining room and the kitchen, and a couple of fans to try and circulate and it can really get hot. During the day I have windows open and the fan in the windows, and we get a little breeze now and again throughout the house, but boy does it get hot when I start cooking or baking lol. How has the weather been where you live?:)

LOL..and here I was assuming that EVERYONE in the south has A/C throughout their house! Whew! God bless you, Dorothy!! That's some tough stuff to deal with. Smart plan, imho, to curtail the baking for now.

Have you tried keeping the house closed up during the day? That's how I beat the heat without A/C. I keep windows shut and shades drawn during the day then once it's cooler outside in the evening than it is inside I open things up, put fans in windows (some pointing in, some pointing out) and blow hotter air out, cooler in. 84's still pretty hot but it still has to feel cooler than 104!! How long have you been in AL?

Reaction score
I know what you mean, it gets brutally hot in Miami too during the summer so I only bake at night or on rainy days during the summertime.
Sometimes I skip baking altogether and just buy some ice cream.

Reaction score
We're having a heatwave over here in Wales.. and whilst it may not be as hot as where you guys all are, us Brit's really aren't used to it, and it's started to take its toll. I'm still baking for now, but whilst I'm waiting for things to cook, I'll have to go sit somewhere else other than the kitchen... Otherwise, it's unbearable.

Thankfully, I live in an old, stone-built house, with walls around 2-3 feet thick, so it's blissfully cool in summer (apart from when I've had the oven on all day!) The problem comes when it's freezing cold in winter, and the house just refuses to heat up.. I sometimes bake a batch of cookies, just as an excuse to stand by the oven for a warm! :p

Reaction score
31°C in the French Riviera, and rising! We get a nice breeze throughout the day though, so all our windows are open. We have an electric convection oven, so I don't feel the heat too much when I have something in the oven, but still. Lately it's been cold dinners, sorbets, and popsicles. I just made melon popsicles for my toddler.

Reaction score
I live in Philadelphia, but this summer it's been nothing but rain and heat. It feels like Florida! Even with air conditioning in my house, our kitchen is small, and the oven is gas, so it will get really hot, really fast in there. I have also taken a break from baking, and cooking on the stove as well. Popsicles and ice cream are great though!

Reaction score
LOL..and here I was assuming that EVERYONE in the south has A/C throughout their house! Whew! God bless you, Dorothy!! That's some tough stuff to deal with. Smart plan, imho, to curtail the baking for now.

Have you tried keeping the house closed up during the day? That's how I beat the heat without A/C. I keep windows shut and shades drawn during the day then once it's cooler outside in the evening than it is inside I open things up, put fans in windows (some pointing in, some pointing out) and blow hotter air out, cooler in. 84's still pretty hot but it still has to feel cooler than 104!! How long have you been in AL?

Thanks for the advice I will be giving that a try tomorrow because we are going to be up to 104 again!! I am not in Alabama right now, I am living in Oklahoma. I am going to go get me a couple or box fans because the ones I have are already going out on me,lol. Last night we got some rain so maybe we will get some more soon and hopefully cool down a little, I am going to Dallas this weekend to visit my daughter and so I am going to take advantage of her A/C and help her bake some cakes, we are celebrating four birthdays in the family, a good reason for a family get together,lol!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I will be giving that a try tomorrow because we are going to be up to 104 again!! I am not in Alabama right now, I am living in Oklahoma. I am going to go get me a couple or box fans because the ones I have are already going out on me,lol. Last night we got some rain so maybe we will get some more soon and hopefully cool down a little, I am going to Dallas this weekend to visit my daughter and so I am going to take advantage of her A/C and help her bake some cakes, we are celebrating four birthdays in the family, a good reason for a family get together,lol!!!

Hoping you have a wonderful visit!!!

Reaction score
Oh goodness, I did not see this post! I just made one in "Baker Banter" about keeping the heat down in the kitchen.

But it is terribly hot and humid where I live! I just want to turn the A/C down to 60 or something crazy. I hate hot weather so much. I love being off school in the summer, but the heat can be just unbearable! It's quite horrible. Too bad it costs a bit much to have the A/C amped so high. D: haha

Reaction score
It gets pretty hot here in summer, so when I decide to bake I usually do it at night, after the sun goes down. Winter is the perfect time to bake, though! Keeps the house nice and warm :)

Reaction score
We have not been baking here at all. I have either been making food like salads that can be eaten cold, or making something that can be cooked on the stovetop, or electric skillet. If we do use the oven, it is just for something that cooks quick, like a pizza.
We have a trailer, so it gets hot here, too. We open up doors and windows after it cools at nite, and then close everything up and pull shades during the day.

Reaction score
I live in upstate New York and we have been suffering from a major heat wave the last week, it hasn't been below 95 degrees in almost a week! And, we haven't had our oven on in almost a week. Even with the air conditioners bumping, I can't bring myself to crank up the oven. Everything we have eaten in the last four day was either cooked in the microwave or on the burners.

Reaction score
I live in upstate New York and we have been suffering from a major heat wave the last week, it hasn't been below 95 degrees in almost a week! And, we haven't had our oven on in almost a week. Even with the air conditioners bumping, I can't bring myself to crank up the oven. Everything we have eaten in the last four day was either cooked in the microwave or on the burners.

Me too. Our weather in Florida has been about 90 degrees and it's still really uncomfortable so I haven't been using the oven either.
I'm ready for fall, not because I want my kid to go back to school , but because this heat is brutal and I'm over it.

Ask a Question