Heating cores even in smaller cakes?

Reaction score
I'm really new to cake baking, still just baking cakes out of boxes and trying to start acquiring decent supplies to bake with. I've been reading these forums and keep seeing people talk about using heating cores in cakes larger than 9". Does anyone use them in smaller (8-9") cakes too? It seems like anything that helps the center bake faster will ensure that the outside of the cake is even less likely to overcook.

Reaction score
I'm really new to cake baking, still just baking cakes out of boxes and trying to start acquiring decent supplies to bake with. I've been reading these forums and keep seeing people talk about using heating cores in cakes larger than 9". Does anyone use them in smaller (8-9") cakes too? It seems like anything that helps the center bake faster will ensure that the outside of the cake is even less likely to overcook.
They're compensating by using gadgets, when I see that I wonder what they're doing incorrectly. Sometimes it's just an unsuitable recipe in the wrong mold. If the outside is burning and the middle isn't baking it's trying to tell us something, could be the heat is too high , the mold too flimsy , the mold ought to be placed on a tray to deflect or even out the heat or perhaps it's located in the wrong place in the oven.

I don't like typical home ovens. We're getting a convection oven soon.

Reaction score

Cake batter bakes from the outside toward the center as batter in contact with the metal heats.
The result in baking a cake at 350°F is The batter in contact with the metal quickly bakes AND sets. The center continues to rise as it is unbaked. It creates a volcano like effectt.

The cake has low sides and a domed center.

Anodized aluminum, dark metal, coated metal will conduct heat more intensely. So these pans create and even worse dome top.

Cake sides and bottom form a thick brown crust. Not only is it u appealingly, but unappetizing as it dry and tough.

Cake is wasted as the domed top is cut off and discarded.

To ensure a cake that rises to it's full height on the sides, is level, and does not form a dry brown crust, use a plain uncoated metal pan and cloth baking strips. Bake at 325°F. Use a heating core when better is deeper than 2” regardless of diameter of pan. Use a heating core in pan larger than 10”.

All the videos and instructions on levelling and throwing away cake On the internet just proves my point. I haven't levelled a cake in 20 years. And if you look up past posts on cake baking, you will see my cake layers rise to the full height of the pan; do not form the disgusting brown dry crust on sides and bottom, and do not dome and/or crack.

A domed cake with a dry brown crust is an improperly baked cake.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

While I have your attention, norcalbaker, I noticed you mentioned chicago metallic pans in previous posts, as well as a few other brands. regarding coatings and pan material, do you think there would be a noticeable difference between one of the USA pans with their silicone coating compared to the uncoated chicago metallic? Or do you think results from either pan would be roughly similar? It seems like usa pans are a little easier to obtain, whereas I think I'd have to go through a specialty baking store or grainger to get a chicago metallic uncoated pan. If the chicago uncoated is just going to be a better pan and give noticeably better results, then I don't mind the slight additional cost+hassle but I wanted to get your opinion on the matter first.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

While I have your attention, norcalbaker, I noticed you mentioned chicago metallic pans in previous posts, as well as a few other brands. regarding coatings and pan material, do you think there would be a noticeable difference between one of the USA pans with their silicone coating compared to the uncoated chicago metallic? Or do you think results from either pan would be roughly similar? It seems like usa pans are a little easier to obtain, whereas I think I'd have to go through a specialty baking store or grainger to get a chicago metallic uncoated pan. If the chicago uncoated is just going to be a better pan and give noticeably better results, then I don't mind the slight additional cost+hassle but I wanted to get your opinion on the matter first.

USA pan coating is a strong conductor of heat. As such it is going to brown and overbake cake. if you use a USA pan, reduce the baking temperature by 15° - 25°F.

TBH even the coated Chicago Metallic* produces a better cake than the USA pan.

My least favorite cake pans are Fat Faddio and USA pan. Oddly they are two of the most expensive pans, and the ones bloggers promote. but they produce really crappy cake.

To demonstrate how a cake pan affects the outcome I baked two cakes using the same batter, at the same time, in the same oven. The only difference was the pan. The cake on the bottom was baked in a Chicago metallic cake pan. The cake on top with the disgusting brown crust what is baked in a Fat Daddio anodized aluminum pan. I actually had to pull that cake out before the Chicago Metallic cake was finished baking because it was already over baked. USA pan and Fat Daddio I will give you the same result USA pan and Fat Daddio I will give you similar results.

*I’m referring to their aluminized steel collection. I’ve never used their dark coated nonstick so I have no idea how their nonstick performs

66DE6F73-D3F0-4442-B722-0503DC3182E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
But since USA pan is such a strong conductor of heat I do use their pie tins. I also have some of their square pans that I use for non baking applications.

Reaction score
I use a rod or flower pin in the middle of an 8x4 in pan (typically for chiffon) or when using my 6 in half sphere pan (it's fairly tall. To sum, I use it for tall pans even if it's not wide. It also helps the cake bake flatter, although I usually use pan strips for that. I just hate wasting cake. Domed tops are a pet peeve

Ask a Question