Heavy loaf and it crumbles when slicing

Reaction score
i am new to bread making, with that said using a sourdough starter, i have made my third loaf and it rises just fine, tastes good but it is a heavy loaf and it crumbles when slicing. I kneed for three or four min and let it rise, after the first rise i kneed for another three or four min and put it in a bread pan and let rise for two or three hours covered inside the house and five or six hours in the frig, bake for 30 min @ 350 deg.

What am i doing wrong

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to sourdough myself, but I've been following this recipe and found it to be very good:

https://www.ilovecooking.ie/recipe/sourdough-bread/

I use rye flour for my starter, and a mix of rye and wheat for the loaf (more recently I've used 20% rye 80% wheat).

Could you tell us more about your recipe? How much flour & water, what type of flour, etc. Sourdough starters take a while to get going, you'll probably see an improvement over time anyway. My gut reaction is that you might be overkneading the dough, but at this stage it's just a guess.

Ask a Question