hello

Reaction score
Hi to everybody. I'm kitkat0124, I am new her at baking forum. I love cakes but I'm not good at baking. I am planning to take crash course in baking. I can do simple baking with the help of a cookbook.:( Joining in this site is a good opportunity for me to get ideas and tips from other members. Please bear with me guys. Looking forward in exchanging ideas and experiences with all of you.I really hope I can really contribute in this site. May we all have a sweetest day.:)

Reaction score
Hi kitkat0124! Welcome!! You will love this forum! It is very active and there are a lot of very nice people on it! I've already gotten some great tips and recipes! The banter is also good! I think you will learn alot about baking, etc and life in general! :)

There is nothing wrong with using a cookbook! I do it all the time! Some of my best recipes are from cookbooks! So, don't feel bad! :) I think most of us use some type of recipe. I think the only one I have memorized is a chocolate chip cookie recipe and that is only because I've been making the same one since I was a kid! :0

So, dive in and start asking questions!! :)

Oh, by the way, where are you from? I'm from MT. :)

Reaction score
Welcome, kitkat0124! Glad you're here! I bake for fun, am not any sort of aficionado and I've been completely accepted here, so I'm sure you will be too. Lots of wonderful skilled information at this forum, but also just a lot of baking camaraderie and fun as well! I hope you like it as well as I do!

Reaction score
Thank you so much for welcoming me. It means a lot to me, I'm really excited because we got a new kitchen. I'm so excited to cook and bake, But I still need to buy few more things though. I been reading tips here in the forum and it's really helpful. I'm having fun..

I'm from Philippines. The other side of the world:)

Reaction score
Nice! What kinds of foods do you like to make in the phillipines? Are you in a different season right now? We are heading towards fall and I was just wondering if you are in the same season as us.

Hope your cooking adventures go well and that you get lots of tips from here! :)

Reaction score
Hello, people here in our country do eat heavy meals 3x a day. Like we eat rice 3x a day. :). I love cooking. So far I did not hear any complaint about my cooking skills. But when it comes to baking that's another story.
We have two seasons here, the wet and dry season. Right now is rainy season, just last week we had a terrible storm that lasted for couple of days.
Fall... I miss the weather there in the US. I lived in Chicago for couple of years, just got back here in Philippines.

Reaction score
We have mostly winter here! Well, not really, but sometimes it seems like it! It is still hot here right now but hopefully it will be cooling down soon!
I know we don't get nearly the amount of rain that you do. I think it is pretty rare for us to get rain for days in a row. It can happen but not very often! Must be really humid there?
I bet the weather is quite different in the Philippines vs Chicago! I bet you don't miss the winters though! ;-)
I like rice too and would eat it with every meal - but my family prefers to have it occasionally not every day.

What do you like to bake?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Nothing wrong with following recipes, baking is a science as well as an art ;)

Reaction score
Hi Mommy42,
Yes, the weather here is really different. It's worst during summer. It's really hot. When i was in chicago, I miss the weather here especially during winter, now that I'm here, I miss chicago.
I did try doing banana muffin. it's one of my favorites. Anything with banana. I got the recipe here in the forum. I try to decrease the amount of sugar, but i think I overdo it.:) As they say practice makes perfect. I'll try it again. see the picture, it looks edible though.:p

Hi Becky, thank you for welcoming me. I know baking is also an art, I tried doing muffin for my cousins. Tried to be really artistic with my banana muffin, So it will look fun for the kids.

Attachments

• banana muffin.jpg
    banana muffin.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 436
Reaction score
Wow! Those look very pretty!! Nice work! I can't say that my presentations are ever that nice! It looks like you go above and beyond!! :)

Yes, practice does make perfect! I make these gluten free cookies - got the recipe from a Martha Stewart magazine - and the recipe says not to over mix the batter. Well, I have always over mixed the batter. When I did it the way the recipe suggested the cookies came out flat and unappealing! So, I keep doing it the way I've been doing it and the cookies never last long because my family gobbles them up! They are the most requested cookies I've ever made - and all because of what the recipe would call a "mistake"!!! LOL You never know until you try!!! :)

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm kinda experimenting about the presentation since I did it for the kids, I want to catch their attention , because they are a bit picky at times.I'll try again next time, then we'll see how it goes. I also want to try a carrot cake.
I also tried doing cookies, chocolate mint. but I used the instant one. I'll look for a recipe here, then probably try it also. I been reading tips and recipes in this site. I love it. I'm learning a lot.
What cookies do you usually do for your family?

Reaction score
I'm not able to upload the file. It is too big. :( I will see what I can do so you can see the recipe. It really is yummy!!!
Chocolate mint cookies sound good!!!
The cookies are the gluten free double chocolate ones I found in a Martha Stewart magazine. I'll try to add them individually and see if I have enough file space that way.

Ok, here is the link to the recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/314011/flourless-double-chocolate-pecan-cookies

I don't use pecans in mine. Also - where it says "do not over mix" - I actually do over mix because I think they turn out better. I also don't use the 1/4 cupful for the cookie - more like a tablespoon. Hope that helps and enjoy!! :)

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw the website. I bookmarked it. I think I will use that website soon. My brother love chocolate cookies. He is older than me, but he is like a kid. He always ask me to make cookies for him. But as I said I did the instant one. I'm also looking for a sugar free cookies recipe for my father. I can use the site you gave me in finding one.

Reaction score
Oh, good! I hope you enjoy them! She probably has a lot of recipes on there that I don't even know about!! :) She used to have a show on tv here for years. I really loved watching it because she would do cooking and crafts. I really loved some of the craft projects. Not that I ever did any of them but I sure enjoyed watching her do them with a guest. They always make it look so easy! I always think, "oh, I could do that". And then I never do!!! LOL
I like the idea of being crafty but I guess I just don't have the energy to actually follow through with a project!
I think for me, baking is a much easier thing to put my efforts into!
Let me know what you think of the cookies when you have a chance to make them. :)

Reaction score
Welcome Kitcat. We are all here to learn so just jump right in and we can share our strengths and admit our weaknesses. We will all be the better for it. By the way, are those little "face cookies" in your avatar. Cute.

Reaction score
Hi mommy42, it's funny because I also love watching cooking and baking shows, then I'll tell myself I'll do it too, cause it seems really easy, but then I never really do it.. Well, I do sometimes. It's hard if your always alone and don't have anybody to eat with. I will try to do the cookies and I will post a picture again so you can judge the look, but not the taste.:D

Reaction score
Welcome Kitcat. We are all here to learn so just jump right in and we can share our strengths and admit our weaknesses. We will all be the better for it. By the way, are those little "face cookies" in your avatar. Cute.

Hi justusforus, Thanks for welcoming me, yes face cookies. Unfortunately, I'm not the one who did it. I'm not that artistic yet. :)

Reaction score
Hi justusforus, Thanks for welcoming me, yes face cookies. Unfortunately, I'm not the one who did it. I'm not that artistic yet. :)
You were artistic enough to pick them. Love it. There are some real creative folks and ideas on here. I find something new everytime I meander around. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Yes, you are right, most of the people are are so good in baking. I learned a lot. I got recipes and tips. As I said before, I'm still new in this baking thing. I guess, it's better late than never.

Ask a Question