Can I freeze brownie batter in IKEA ice cube trays?

Reaction score
Ugh... ok.. so I have these IKEA ice cube trays... they are soft plastic. When I bought them (at a thrift store) I thought they were silicon and I wanted to make mini brownies... Once I got home and realized my mistake ...Disappointment set in. ...But then I started thinking... Hey wait... Can I make the brownie batter... put it in the trays... freeze it...and then pop them out to cook? ...or does that make any sense!?

Reaction score
Ugh... ok.. so I have these IKEA ice cube trays... they are soft plastic. When I bought them (at a thrift store) I thought they were silicon and I wanted to make mini brownies... Once I got home and realized my mistake ...Disappointment set in. ...But then I started thinking... Hey wait... Can I make the brownie batter... put it in the trays... freeze it...and then pop them out to cook? ...or does that make any sense!?

Lol, yes brownie batter is one of the very few batters that can be frozen. I don’t see any reason why you can’t freeze in the tray. However, I don’t think you will be able to bake them individually on a cookie tray without them spreading all over.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, @TipsyTupsy!

Lol, yes brownie batter is one of the very few batters that can be frozen. I don’t see any reason why you can’t freeze in the tray. However, I don’t think you will be able to bake them individually on a cookie tray without them spreading all over.

Agreed, it will likely spread when it is in the oven.

Ask a Question