Gasoline-like Taste and Smell in Vanilla Buttercream Cake

Reaction score
Hello everyone..I have been in the baking business for about 6 years now and i have never encounted this problem. Two customers came back with a slice of cake we made tasting and smelling like gasoline (this was 2 days after the cake was made). The cake wasn't looking spoilt. The cut out from the cakes still tasted fine as it was still in my fridge. These cakes where vanilla cakes covered in buttercream (icingsugar + margeine+flavour). The plain cakes made that day had no gasoline taste or smell. Please what could have gone wrong?...

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Gosh, what a weird thing to happen! I can only assume it was down to how/where they stored it...?

Reaction score
This is really weird:eek: I've never heard of such a thing to actually happen... I agree with Becky here, I guess it really comes down to where and how they stored it. You should definitely talk to your co-workers about it 'cause these things should never happen in any store.

Reaction score
Sounds like a scam to me.

Some people will order a cake and then bring it back with dirt on it, or saying it tastes "bad" when there's nothing wrong with it. They did it themselves in order to get a cake for free.

Some people will also damage a cake for that specific purpose. Like people putting hair or bugs into their food at a restaurant and then claiming it CAME to them like that.......just to get a free meal.

I mean really..........bringing back ONE SLICE???????? If your cake REALLY tasted and smelled of gasoline from the bakery, wouldn't you have brought the ENTIRE cake BACK to the bakery?????

Reaction score

Some people will order a cake and then bring it back with dirt on it, or saying it tastes "bad" when there's nothing wrong with it. They did it themselves in order to get a cake for free.

Some people will also damage a cake for that specific purpose. Like people putting hair or bugs into their food at a restaurant and then claiming it CAME to them like that.......just to get a free meal.

I mean really..........bringing back ONE SLICE???????? If your cake REALLY tasted and smelled of gasoline from the bakery, wouldn't you have brought the ENTIRE cake BACK to the bakery?????
That's terrible and wouldn't even have occurred to me! Wow.

Reaction score
That's terrible and wouldn't even have occurred to me! Wow.

Yeah, it's more common than it used to be.
Everybody thinks they are so special, they don't need to be paying for something, everything should be handed to them.

A LOT of people have.........well, to put the term loosely.......big, brass balls.

I worked in a greeting card shop for a part time job a few years ago. Some guy brought in CAR TIRES for a REFUND!!!!!

People have no scruples, morals, or ethics anymore. And it makes it hard for the few decent, honest people who actually WANT to work or have their own business, because of these types.

No matter if you live in a big city or a small town, they are there. So watch out for them. If somebody is telling you an unbelievable story in order to get a refund or something for free, then more than likely that story is just what it is..........a story.

Legitimate customers with legitimate issues coming in for refunds or replacements will be, well, legitimate.

I mean, come on. Really...................would you eat 99% of a cake that smelled and tasted like gasoline???

Reaction score
Yeah, it's more common than it used to be.
Everybody thinks they are so special, they don't need to be paying for something, everything should be handed to them.

A LOT of people have.........well, to put the term loosely.......big, brass balls.

I worked in a greeting card shop for a part time job a few years ago. Some guy brought in CAR TIRES for a REFUND!!!!!

People have no scruples, morals, or ethics anymore. And it makes it hard for the few decent, honest people who actually WANT to work or have their own business, because of these types.

No matter if you live in a big city or a small town, they are there. So watch out for them. If somebody is telling you an unbelievable story in order to get a refund or something for free, then more than likely that story is just what it is..........a story.

Legitimate customers with legitimate issues coming in for refunds or replacements will be, well, legitimate.

I mean, come on. Really...................would you eat 99% of a cake that smelled and tasted like gasoline???

I agree with you here... What a sad world we live in:( @jennifer if you're still reading this, did you talk to your co-workers about the whole situation?

Reaction score
Hello everyone..I have been in the baking business for about 6 years now and i have never encounted this problem. Two customers came back with a slice of cake we made tasting and smelling like gasoline (this was 2 days after the cake was made). The cake wasn't looking spoilt. The cut out from the cakes still tasted fine as it was still in my fridge. These cakes where vanilla cakes covered in buttercream (icingsugar + margeine+flavour). The plain cakes made that day had no gasoline taste or smell. Please what could have gone wrong?...
This just happened to us! Had a cake made for my parents 60th diamond anniversary. Beautiful cake! white cake with pineapple filling. two-tier. top tier tasted amazing and we ate it at the celebration. we didn't cut into the bottom tier until a few days later. it was horrible. actually numbed the tip of my tongue. very chemical gasoline taste and somewhat of an odor as well but mostly just a taste you could not keep in your mouth. buttercream frosting on white cake with filling. silver round foil cake plate bottom and wooden dowels throughout. like I said, top tier perfect..

Reaction score
Hi, I tasted something like this today in a caffeteria in a wonderful cake with icing. Obviously internets say, it might have smt to do with the alluminium a d bakong soda or buuter with baking soda with alluminium included. Also it might be the alluminium foil on icing while storage. Hope it never happened to you again!) wishing all the best

Reaction score
I think I may know what's going on. This happened to me with my refrigerator. There is some sort of gas (not freon) between the walls of refrigerators. Somehow it can leak out. This has happened to me twice in my lifetime; once back in the '70s and it happened again to me this year. There is nothing you can do about it but replace the refrigerator. I called the manufacturer and they told me there is no solution other than replacing the fridge, which is what I had to do in both instances. All the food in my refrigerator and freezer had the taste and smell of gasoline. I had to throw everything out and start again with my new refrigerator. In your circumstance, since it was an isolated incident, it could be that some people are unable to smell/taste it and some people will just "accept" their purchase and will not bother to want a refund or replacement. Hope this helps!

Reaction score

My stepmother makes an Apple Cake every Christmas and nobody benefits financially from it. Quite a few times it has had the kerosene taste after a few days. ‍♀️

Ask a Question