Delicious Oil-Based Cupcake Recipes

Reaction score
Hello hello hello everyone. Can I have good recipes for oil based (not margarine) vanilla, chocolate (with cocoa powder not chocolate) and red velvet cupcake/cake?

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, for sharing. I'll definitely try them this weekend. Can you please help with the other two - the vanilla and red velvet ?

Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with vanilla or red velvet cupcakes using oil instead of butter I'm afraid, but you could always substitute oil for butter in a recipe. Look for recipes that don't involve creaming together the butter and sugar, as this is done to incorporate air and is not possible with liquid oil. Also bear in mind that oil is 100% fat whereas butter is 80% fat and the rest is mostly water, so substitute accordingly.

Reaction score
Becky can I have your vanilla and red velvet cupcakes recipes with butter? Thanks

Reaction score
I haven't made any recently, there's no particular recipe I can recommend I'm afraid!

Reaction score
Becky can I have your vanilla and red velvet cupcakes recipes with butter? Thanks

Akos, a red velvet cake is simply chocolate cake with red food coloring. Red velvet cake was a marketing gimmick by Adams Extract company. They simply wanted to sell more red food dye, so they mixed an extraordinary amount of red food dye into chocolate cake to make it red. They then printed the recipe on the package of their extracts.

Compare any chocolate cake recipe with any “red velvet“ recipe and you’ll see the only difference is two bottles of red food coloring. Every professional baker knows this, but customers keep asking it for, so they continue to market it. I do not believe in adding massive quantities of food dye into food, especially food that will be served to children, so I do not make red velvet cake.

The term “velvet” dates back to the beginning of 18th century. The industrial revolution changed how flour was milled. Where stone milling produces a course flour, the metal roller milling produced a much finer flour. The result was a finer texture cake. I believe it was the British that then begin to refer to cakes made with finely milled flour as “velvet“ given the finer crumb. So there’s really no such thing as a velvet cake either since all cake is now made with finely milled flour.

You can simply add food dye to your favorite chocolate cake recipe and have red velvet.

Here’s the link to the Adams Extract recipe.

https://www.adamsextract.com/Recipes/RecipeDetails.aspx?recipeID=24

Ask a Question