Looking for wider flat basketweave pastry tip

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the tip in this video (if timestamp doesn't work, it's at 15:30) is? It's essentially like a basketweave tip but flat on both sides instead of one side ribbed, one side flat. I have the Ateco #45 which is basically the same tip, but the #45 is 1.1 cm wide while I think the tip in the video is a bit wider.

I've tried this technique of piping on fondant glaze on eclairs and religieuses, but found that the 1.1 cm wide tip is just a bit smaller than ideal; something like 1.5-1.7 cm would be perfect. Anyone know of any tips like that? I know for example the Ateco 895 is about that size but it's a regular basketweave tip and not flat on both sides.

Reaction score
here's a screenshot of the tip Cahoot mentioned - hope this helps someone identify the tip in question.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.53.49 PM.png
he

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the tip in this video (if timestamp doesn't work, it's at 15:30) is? It's essentially like a basketweave tip but flat on both sides instead of one side ribbed, one side flat. I have the Ateco #45 which is basically the same tip, but the #45 is 1.1 cm wide while I think the tip in the video is a bit wider.

I've tried this technique of piping on fondant glaze on eclairs and religieuses, but found that the 1.1 cm wide tip is just a bit smaller than ideal; something like 1.5-1.7 cm would be perfect. Anyone know of any tips like that? I know for example the Ateco 895 is about that size but it's a regular basketweave tip and not flat on both sides.

it doesn’t matter if it has the ridges or not, because when you flip it over, the ridges are on the underside, so they don’t show up on the icing at all.

I use these all the time to pipe buttercream on the sides of cake, always the smooth side up.
image.jpg

they have the ridges on one side, but does it matter if the ridges are down when you pipe, you’re not going to get ridge marks on top.
image.jpg

Reaction score
it doesn’t matter if it has the ridges or not, because when you flip it over, the ridges are on the underside, so they don’t show up on the icing at all.

I use these all the time to pipe buttercream on the sides of cake, always the smooth side up.
View attachment 3794

they have the ridges on one side, but does it matter if the ridges are down when you pipe, you’re not going to get ridge marks on top.
View attachment 3795
I was considering just getting a tip like those but my concern is that if you have to go back and forth in piping (e.g. switching directions without turning the piping tip too), you'll end up having to use the ridged side. For the purposes in the video where he's using fondant, that may not matter since it may just end up settling down to a smooth layer anyway, but I'd prefer not having to worry about that.

I've determined that the tip he uses is definitely not Ateco, since those all have slightly rounded corners except the regular basketweave tips with ridges, while looking at the screenshot ShuBunny posted, the corners of that tip are very square.

I found a possible match from a brand called Pastry Tek that's also 3/4" (19 mm) wide. However unfortunately I can't find any sources that can ship to Canada at feasible prices, and besides, $5.40 (USD) for a single pastry tip is pretty high already.

Reaction score
I was considering just getting a tip like those but my concern is that if you have to go back and forth in piping (e.g. switching directions without turning the piping tip too), you'll end up having to use the ridged side. For the purposes in the video where he's using fondant, that may not matter since it may just end up settling down to a smooth layer anyway, but I'd prefer not having to worry about that.

I've determined that the tip he uses is definitely not Ateco, since those all have slightly rounded corners except the regular basketweave tips with ridges, while looking at the screenshot ShuBunny posted, the corners of that tip are very square.

I found a possible match from a brand called Pastry Tek that's also 3/4" (19 mm) wide. However unfortunately I can't find any sources that can ship to Canada at feasible prices, and besides, $5.40 (USD) for a single pastry tip is pretty high already.

Yeah that seems awfully expensive for a single nozzle. I am going to be at my brother’s house tomorrow. There’s a large restaurant supply store near his place. They usually have a good supply of piping nozzles. If they have a large plain nozzle, I’ll grab a few for you. We’re good enough friends I don’t mind helping you out.

Reaction score
@cahoots I checked two stores neither one had a ribbon tip in that size or plain basket weave. I spoke to sales reps and both stores and no one could think of where I could find such a tip.

let me see what the shipping is to order that tip out of Chicago. If the shipping is reasonable I’ll order it.

Reaction score
@Norcalbaker59 I appreciate you looking for me! There's no need to go out of the way to order a tip, though. Even if low, I don't think shipping is ever worth the cost if making just a small order. You've done enough going out of your way to look for and ask about it at your restaurant supply stores!

Reaction score
@Norcalbaker59 I appreciate you looking for me! There's no need to go out of the way to order a tip, though. Even if low, I don't think shipping is ever worth the cost if making just a small order. You've done enough going out of your way to look for and ask about it at your restaurant supply stores!

Okay. If I come across such a tip I will get when I am in the restaurant supply stores in the future, I will get a few for you though.

Ask a Question