Help me develop a banana bread with a praline topping...

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by Soliloquy, May 17, 2013.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Well-Known Member

I got the idea that a banana bread with a praline topping would taste good, but I've tried a few experiments with that idea and so far they haven't worked out. I'm looking for something slightly streusel-like but maybe a little sticky, but the various praline toppings I've tried have either come out more caramel-like and liquid, or just sunk right into the banana bread. Any ideas?

Soliloquy, May 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Soliloquy

limcid Well-Known Member

Wow, this sounds good! I can help you eat it. :)

Maybe you could create the praline separately and add it to the top of the bread at some point during the baking?

limcid, May 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Soliloquy

limcid Well-Known Member

Hey, I just did some searching and well, I could point to a video of someone doing this very thing. But, you seem like you're experimenting with your own idea and I wouldn't want to ruin that. I could check the video to see how they handled the praline aspect.

Okay, here's the video. The praline part begins at 6:41.

limcid, May 18, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  4. Soliloquy

Ah ha! Thanks limcid, I'll have to try this next time I have some overripe bananas (which should be only a matter of a few days). I'll report back then.

Soliloquy, May 19, 2013
  5. Soliloquy

Since the weather has temporarily cooled off again, we baked the banana bread with praline topping yesterday. First thing I noticed was that our banana bread didn't rise as much as the one in the video; I'm thinking probably because the two bananas we used were larger than the ones in the video. I also thought the praline topping overpowered the banana bread taste, which wasn't what I was hoping for. (I'm sure some would prefer it like that.) I think next time I try this idea I'll grind up the nuts with more flour in an attempt to get a more streusel-like topping. But all in all, quite tasty and I'm glad I tried it!

Soliloquy, May 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question