Tips for perfecting a praline topping banana bread

Reaction score
I got the idea that a banana bread with a praline topping would taste good, but I've tried a few experiments with that idea and so far they haven't worked out. I'm looking for something slightly streusel-like but maybe a little sticky, but the various praline toppings I've tried have either come out more caramel-like and liquid, or just sunk right into the banana bread. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Wow, this sounds good! I can help you eat it. :)

Maybe you could create the praline separately and add it to the top of the bread at some point during the baking?

Reaction score
Hey, I just did some searching and well, I could point to a video of someone doing this very thing. But, you seem like you're experimenting with your own idea and I wouldn't want to ruin that. I could check the video to see how they handled the praline aspect.

Okay, here's the video. The praline part begins at 6:41.

Reaction score
Ah ha! Thanks limcid, I'll have to try this next time I have some overripe bananas (which should be only a matter of a few days). I'll report back then.

Reaction score
Since the weather has temporarily cooled off again, we baked the banana bread with praline topping yesterday. First thing I noticed was that our banana bread didn't rise as much as the one in the video; I'm thinking probably because the two bananas we used were larger than the ones in the video. I also thought the praline topping overpowered the banana bread taste, which wasn't what I was hoping for. (I'm sure some would prefer it like that.) I think next time I try this idea I'll grind up the nuts with more flour in an attempt to get a more streusel-like topping. But all in all, quite tasty and I'm glad I tried it!

Ask a Question