How to make a perfect white sandwich loaf

Reaction score
I have been breadmaking for a few months now and although my dinner rolls turn out as expected, my white loaves are usually a bit dense and always off white. The rolls are always a perfect white, soft and pillowy. What am I doing wrong?

I use a kenwod bread machine but recenly have used only the dough cycle and baked in the oven.

I have tried various recipes, all are the same.

I just want a nice white sandwich loaf.

Help please.

Reaction score
I have been breadmaking for a few months now and although my dinner rolls turn out as expected, my white loaves are usually a bit dense and always off white. The rolls are always a perfect white, soft and pillowy. What am I doing wrong?

I use a kenwod bread machine but recenly have used only the dough cycle and baked in the oven.

I have tried various recipes, all are the same.

I just want a nice white sandwich loaf.

Help please.

Since you are using a Kenwood, I’m assuming you are based in the UK. You will not get white bread in the UK because it is illegal to bleach flour in the UK and European union. Unbleached flour is naturally yellowish. Your rolls just look whiter because they are smaller; its less mass, so reflecting less color.

If your sandwich loaf is dense, you may be using the wrong flour. Are using strong flour?

Go over to a website called Bake with Jack, he has a lot of good tutorials. Plus he’s based in the UK, so he uses the same flour as you.

Reaction score
Since you are using a Kenwood, I’m assuming you are based in the UK. You will not get white bread in the UK because it is illegal to bleach flour in the UK and European union. Unbleached flour is naturally yellowish. Your rolls just look whiter because they are smaller; its less mass, so reflecting less color.

If your sandwich loaf is dense, you may be using the wrong flour. Are using strong flour?

Go over to a website called Bake with Jack, he has a lot of good tutorials. Plus he’s based in the UK, so he uses the same flour as you.

Thank you so much. I can now try and get it right.

Ask a Question