Help! My cupcakes look like muffins! lol

Reaction score
I'm kind of a noob in the kitchen so here goes, my first attempt at making cupcakes.

I made a batch of cupcake's for valentines day but instead of being rounded almost like an egg on the top half of the cupcake, they mushroomed and looked like muffins!:eek::D Where did I go wrong? Is there something I'm missing.

Here's a pic of the finished product:
cupcake.jpg

I don't know if you guys can see what I mean in this pic, but there it is.
So I used the following for the mix:

(estimates)

1.5 Cup of cake flour
0.5 Cup of milk
0.5 Cup of cooking oil
2 Large eggs
2 tsp of baking powder
0.75 Cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla essence
0.5 tsp of salt

I sift all my dry ingredients into a mixing bowl then added in the wet ingredients and mixed well.
I then spooned the mix into cupcake papers which were already in my muffin pan until each one was about three-quarters full.
Then I placed in the oven on bake at 180 degrees celcius for about 20-25 minutes until they were golden brownish ontop.

However to my suprise when I took them out they had not risen to the egg shape I mentioned but looked like picture perfect muffins.
Any advice or tips would be helpful because after I put the icing on it was kind of weird to eat them, yet still very yummy!:p

Reaction score
That looks delicious! :) If you are happy with the recipe then don't play around with the ingredients, just put less in each case. Perhaps aim for 2/3rds full - it might feel like you aren't putting enough in, but they will rise up.

Alternatively if you think that the recipe would benefit from a little less baking powder, then you could try cutting it back by about half a teaspoon.

Reaction score
Cool thanks I will try that, I just want them to come out rounded at the top and not mushroomed, it will make them easier to eat because with the top larger than the bottom piece it's a bit messy to eat and well, they were delicious! Wish I could post one here that people can download and eat! LOL!:D

hhh

Reaction score
Hmmm, it's difficult to say since you added both baking powder and eggs to the mixture, so it should rise into the rounded shape you're look for. Some times what I do for extra fluffiness is sprinkling a little bit of water on the water and the baking tray. This creates steam which helps it to rise. Hopefully that will help, goodluck!

Reaction score
Mix thoroughly until there are no lumps at all and then let stand for a minute or two, give that baking powder a moment to do its work before you put it in the oven. That's what I do.

Ask a Question