How to Salvage Underbaked Peanut Butter Blossoms

Reaction score
Hello,

Made a recipe similar to peanut butter blossoms for the first time. The recipe said to bake for 8-9 mins and specifically said do not bake longer than that. After 8 mins they didn't even look close to done, so I snuck a few extra mins in. The tops were just barely beginning to crack when I took them out (was worried about keeping them in too long) and then cracked further when I put the Hershey's kisses on.

Thought I was good to go, but after letting them set in the fridge a bit I took them out and micro'D one for a few seconds (bc I love warm cookies) to try it. It crumbled as soon as I picked it up to take a bite, and the centers are still doughy.

Will they get more firm, or are they ruined bc of being underbaked? I can't throw them back in the oven bc the kisses are already on there. I'm afraid to give them out tomorrow lest people think I'm giving them raw cookies or worse, someone gets food poisoning! What's a girl to do?!?

Reaction score
Hello!

Well, the recipe does have the word "soft" in the title. The recipe also states that they should be chewy and soft.

This is also a peanut butter cookie.

Peanut butter has a LOT of oil in it, and that oil separates from the peanut part and soaks into the flour part of the cookie during baking. When it cools down, the saturated flour part of the cookie cannot absorb all of that oil, so the oil sits there between the flour and the peanut butter giving the effect of "soft" and "chewy".

No, your cookie is not under done. Most cookies bake in less than 5 minutes, unless you are making an extra large cookie.....standard sized cookies cook in only a few minutes.

This recipe seems to be exact, whereas most recipes can be varied in ingredients and baking times, but there are a few recipes out there that have to be exact in order to get the proper results.

You did overbake, but not by much. No, they are not raw in the middle, all that peanut butter oil just gives that effect.

These cookies are fine for sharing. Heating them up will not affect them adversely, unless its over heated, then the cookie can be extra crumbly.

My granny used to make these, but she baked the cookie with the kiss in the middle. Fortunately, there is enough wax in the chocolate to keep it from melting all over, so it pretty much just stays in one little "blob" in the middle of the cookie. But like the cookie itself, you have to watch that the chocolate doesn't dry out during baking....if you ever do it this way.

I would expect, if you follow this specific recipe exactly to the letter, it will not let you down.
Don't worry about the gummy insides, it is supposed to be that way, and it's that way because of the oil in the peanut butter.

Ask a Question