Vegan cake mix alternatives for missing ingredient

Reaction score
im making a birthday cake for Saturday, was informed quite late they’re vegan. I’ve bought a vegan cake mix which requires glycerin. I don’t have a way of getting this in time, could anyone please suggest an alternative as I’m completely clueless. Pic of mix included. TIA for any help.

Attachments

• B0912248-1F66-487F-8595-6CCE58BFBB83.jpeg
    B0912248-1F66-487F-8595-6CCE58BFBB83.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
im making a birthday cake for Saturday, was informed quite late they’re vegan. I’ve bought a vegan cake mix which requires glycerin. I don’t have a way of getting this in time, could anyone please suggest an alternative as I’m completely clueless. Pic of mix included. TIA for any help.

I can't be sure why it calls for that, but I'm guessing it's to retain moisture so the cake doesn't go stale quickly. If so, you can accomplish that by using any water absorbing additive like agar-agar or psyllium. Don't use more than two teaspoons of psyllium powder though. And make sure it's fresh and doesn't smell "minty" It seems minty and sickly sweet smelling, to me, when it goes off. I'm guessing psyllium is easy to find because you can just buy metamucil if you can't find anything else to use.

Reaction score
I can't be sure why it calls for that, but I'm guessing it's to retain moisture so the cake doesn't go stale quickly. If so, you can accomplish that by using any water absorbing additive like agar-agar or psyllium. Don't use more than two teaspoons of psyllium powder though. And make sure it's fresh and doesn't smell "minty" It seems minty and sickly sweet smelling, to me, when it goes off. I'm guessing psyllium is easy to find because you can just buy metamucil if you can't find anything else to use.

Thank you for replying. I don’t need it to keep, I’m making it tomorrow for Saturday, I don’t have time to track down these items, so would it ruin it if I just missed it out and added more vegan milk or some syrup. Apologies if it sounds dumb x

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I don’t need it to keep, I’m making it tomorrow for Saturday, I don’t have time to track down these items, so would it ruin it if I just missed it out and added more vegan milk or some syrup. Apologies if it sounds dumb x

I don't think it would ruin it, but truly I don't know. Psyllium is a bulk forming laxative under the name brand of Metamucil or Konsyl, in the US, it's only as far away as the nearest pharmacy.

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go down the route of buying a pre-made mix as it worked out really expensive considering still had to buy milk and glycerin. There are some good recipes to be found online using cider vinegar and regular ingredients which I think I would do next time.

Reaction score

Walmart usually has glycerine, people who make their own vaping liquid buy it there.

Ask a Question