Recreating Family's Favorite Chocolate Cake Recipe

Reaction score
My mom has been making this cake since I was a baby, and as us kids grew up, we all learned to make it. It has long been the favorite of most of the family. Whenever a birthday would roll around and we’d get to pick what kind of cake we wanted, 90% of the time, it was this cake.

It was a relatively simple cake to make. You would take a box of chocolate pudding (cook and serve only), and cook it according to the box directions. As soon as it was done cooking (aka: when it started to boil) you would turn off the heat and drop in a stick of margarine or butter. Once the butter melted, you would dump in a dry white cake mix (just the mix) and stir until moistened. Pour it into your cake pan, top with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and optionally chopped pecans. Bake roughly according to the box directions.

This cake was amazing. So moist and flavorful. Unfortunately we can no longer find a cake mix that will work for this. All the boxed cake mixes have changed their formulas to be extra moist, a lot of them even advertising pudding in the mix. If you try to make this cake now, with these extra moist mixes, what you end up with is a “cake” that is more the consistency of bread pudding. I love bread pudding, but when you want chocolate cake, that consistency is rather unappetizing.

I was hoping maybe someone with more experience than I have could help me figure out a way to recreate this much loved and missed family favorite. Thank you for your time.

Ask a Question