Tips for Perfectly Whipped Cream - Help Needed

Reaction score
Hi All!
Please share any tips you might have. Thanks! :)
Sharing my experience of trying to whip cream about 7-8 times. I have read every website and watched every YouTube video out there.
1. I have tried using all kinds of cream in the market from heavy cream, whipping cream, regular cream, the really expensive whipping cream
2. I make sure to chill my cream for a couple hours before I even attempt to whip. I also freeze the bowls as well the beaters and additionally add ice in a bowl underneath the bowl with the cream.
3. I then thought that maybe its still not hot enough so I also tried whipping cream in an air conditioned room with the ac set on min temp. (The weather was pretty decent today so decided to attempt it again but failed as always)
4. I have tried the beaters fast first and then slow and also slow first then fast.
5. I also have tried adding the sugar at different times.
6. Also once tried corn flour to help it thicken but failed :p

I feel like I have tried everything under the sun yet my cream just doesn't whip. I mean, it doesn't even thicken. It stays as it came out of the package.
Please please if anyone out there has a solution, Id be eternally grateful. Just a full proof way to whip cream.
Thanks already!

Reaction score
Patience. I’m certain you are just turning off the mixer too soon. There is no reason for the cream not to whip. The ambient environment doesn’t effect the cream‘s whipping texture unless the cream sits out for several hours. Whipping the cream is about protein denaturation and creating an air and water foam. So you have a air cell that is surround by a fat droplet. And that is stabilized by protein. All of this only happens with agitation.

Reaction score
Hi All!
Sharing my experience of trying to whip cream about 7-8 times. I have read every website and watched every YouTube video out there.
1. I have tried using all kinds of cream in the market from heavy cream, whipping cream, regular cream, the really expensive whipping cream
2. I make sure to chill my cream for a couple hours before I even attempt to whip. I also freeze the bowls as well the beaters and additionally add ice in a bowl underneath the bowl with the cream.
3. I then thought that maybe its still not hot enough so I also tried whipping cream in an air conditioned room with the ac set on min temp. (The weather was pretty decent today so decided to attempt it again but failed as always)
4. I have tried the beaters fast first and then slow and also slow first then fast.

I feel like I have tried everything under the sun yet my cream just doesn't whip. I mean, it doesn't even thicken. It stays as it came out of the package.
Please please if anyone out there has a solution, Id be eternally grateful. Just a full proof way to whip cream.
Thanks already!
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong except perhaps not using heavy whipping cream or not waiting long enough on high speed when mixing. I used to never be able to do this and found the perfect way recently. Use refrigerated heavy whipping cream, make sure it has HEAVY in the title. I used an organic one from the market. Then put metal bowl and whisk of kitchen aid mixer into freezer for 20 min. Pour in heavy whipping cream straight from the fridge into the bowl and whisk on 6, after a minute switch to 8, and after 2 minutes switch to 10 (highest setting). After couple minutes it will have stiffed peaks and be whipped cream. Add powdered sugar if desired and you're done!

bjm

Reaction score
Hi All!

Thanks already!
One of the other replies stated the necessity of using 'Heavy' whipping cream. I think this is extremely important. I used an organic cream one time, whipped it and in less than an hour it had begun to re-liquefy. When reaching out to the company, found it to be only 32% butterfat. I no longer use that brand for whipping. Also, I use my mini food processor to whip cream. It is wonderful - does not allow much incorporation of air. However, it must be whipped very carefully and slowly as too long will produce butter - I know = I have also done that - :). Good luck.

Reaction score
The other day, I needed to whip up some whipped cream, and wondered. They did it in the old days with a spoon or some such manual tool. So, using a whisk, I whipped it. Now I am sure the cooks of old had arms like superman, and though mine used to be like that, not now for sure. I had my wife spell me a couple of times, but indeed, that cream whipped of fine, in about 10 minutes or so. Mostly, I needed a break to take a sip of wine. Cooking and baking is a wonderful excuse to imbibe, eh.
So have no fear if your electricity goes out!
For the life of me, I cannot understand why your heavy cream doesn't whip. But I bet norcalbaker59's remarks have something to do with it.
I have had eggs not whip. Brad

Reaction score
Americans tend to go way too heavy on the sugar.
I use 3oz gran sugar to 1/2 gallon of cream, whip full speed.
its stable enough to make cakes and napoleons that will stand up without any gelatin or other additions.

Reaction score
I don't limit myself to sweets even on a diet, I just eat keto whipped cream instead of the usual cream

Reaction score
There really is no reason at all why it won't thicken, you're doing everything right. But when you say 'beaters' which attachment are you using on your mixer? It should be the whisk, if you're using another attachment that may be the problem. If you have a handheld electric whisk try using that instead. You could also manually whisk the cream if you have the strength and energy! Also, single cream will not thicken, it needs to be whipping or double cream. And, despite the name, whipping cream would be be my second option!

Reaction score
Also, btw, temperature really doesn't matter as much as you think it does. I've whipped room temperature cream in a room temperature bowl with no problems at all. And a trick for if you over whip your cream and it's too thick is to add some some more of the unwhipped cream or some milk and stir it in to loosen it up a bit again.

Ask a Question