How to Get Perfectly Domed Muffins and Streusel Topping

Reaction score
I am beyond frustrated and need help asap! I am test baking muffins for an order in the morning at 7:30am and it's 11:10pm and I just did my SIXTH test batch and I can't for the life of me get those damn things to dome Here's my recipe:

Mix together:
6 oz. buttermilk
1 large egg (2 oz.)
2 oz. melted butter
1 tsp. Vanilla extract

In another bowl sift together:
6 oz. cake flour
2 oz. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups blueberries

Streusel- mix together:
1/3 cup cake flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Then cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbs form.

I have done so so many different things and STILL cannot get a dome. The other issue is my streusel. It basically just melts ontop of the muffin, sinks in, and/or runs altogether and runs off the muffin.

For the muffins I mix all the liquids. Then in another bowl I mix all the dry ingredients. Then I fold the two together very gently and I do not overmix at ALL. I've tried filling the tins all different amounts. That doesn't ever change the end result. I still always have no dome. I've tried baking immediately and also tried letting my batter rest in the fridge for an hour before baking and still neither produced different results. I've baked at 350 and 375 and 400. I've baked starting at 425 for 6-9 mins and then reducing to 350 and baking until done. NOTHING makes them though and I'm at my wits end. Please help!!

Here's what I'm thinking... add more flour to my muffins?? And for the streusel maybe decrease the butter?? If so how much on both?

Looks like I'll be up all night with this one Thanks fellow bakers❤️

Reaction score
I am beyond frustrated and need help asap! I am test baking muffins for an order in the morning at 7:30am and it's 11:10pm and I just did my SIXTH test batch and I can't for the life of me get those damn things to dome Here's my recipe:

Mix together:
6 oz. buttermilk
1 large egg (2 oz.)
2 oz. melted butter
1 tsp. Vanilla extract

In another bowl sift together:
6 oz. cake flour
2 oz. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups blueberries

Streusel- mix together:
1/3 cup cake flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Then cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbs form.

I have done so so many different things and STILL cannot get a dome. The other issue is my streusel. It basically just melts ontop of the muffin, sinks in, and/or runs altogether and runs off the muffin.

For the muffins I mix all the liquids. Then in another bowl I mix all the dry ingredients. Then I fold the two together very gently and I do not overmix at ALL. I've tried filling the tins all different amounts. That doesn't ever change the end result. I still always have no dome. I've tried baking immediately and also tried letting my batter rest in the fridge for an hour before baking and still neither produced different results. I've baked at 350 and 375 and 400. I've baked starting at 425 for 6-9 mins and then reducing to 350 and baking until done. NOTHING makes them though and I'm at my wits end. Please help!!

Here's what I'm thinking... add more flour to my muffins?? And for the streusel maybe decrease the butter?? If so how much on both?

Looks like I'll be up all night with this one Thanks fellow bakers❤️

Dump the cake flour. It's soft wheat so low protein. Then it's bleached, further reducing the protein to 7% - 8%. Always use the appropriate flour for the product. Muffins are essentially a quick bread. They require a stronger flour. Use all purpose. I use a commercial grade flour that has 11.5% protein and is malted. The retail equivalent is King Arthur All Purpose at 11.7% protein and it's malted.
Your hydration is at 100%. Cake flour has the very lowest hydration rate. The only flour that requires 100% hydration is whole wheat flour. Change to all purpose flour, and reduce the hydration to about 80%.

Here's my recipe. Pic below are my muffins with streusel topping.

Blueberry Lemon Muffin

By Norcalbaker59

Preheat oven 375

Line 2 - 12 cup muffin tins (yield depends on muffin tin size)

Bake time approximately 20 minutes

All ingredients should be 70 degrees

I use Central Milling Artisan Craft (Hard Red Winter Wheat, 11.5% protein). A comparable flour is King Arthur All Purpose.

Whisk throughly dry ingredients and set aside

250 g all purpose flour

12 g of baking powder

5 g of baking soda

2 g salt

In separate bowl, whisk to blend, set aside

83 g eggs, 70 degrees

200 g buttermilk, 70 degrees

12 g vanilla extract

In mixer bowl, rub zest into sugar with fingers to release oils

165 g of sugar

Zest of large lemon

Cream butter and lemon sugar with paddle attachment on medium until light and fluffy (kitchenaid setting 4)

95 g unsalted butter, 70 degrees

To creamed butter, alternately add wet and dry ingredients in two additions

Mix until just combined

Mix in by hand

250 g fresh blueberries, washed and dried

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full

For the streusel topping

80g all purpose flour

80g almond flour

80g sugar

80g butter

1. Press butter into sugar and flours using your fingers. Sprinkle with water and rake with fork until the streusel forms a crumb like texture
  2. Place in freezer for 10 mins before using

717487F2-57BA-4ECE-9927-B41D4088BB2D.JPG

Ask a Question