Maple Muffin Recipe Help

Reaction score
I am making maple muffins and have mixed 1 1/3 flour and 1 tbsp BP already. It now tells me to cut in shortening which is not in the list of ingredients. Can anyone tell me how much and also can i substitute butter and if yes how much of that. One more question. It also calls for canned milk, which i dont have. Do you think it would okay to substitute a half and half mixture of 2% with whipping cream?

Reaction score
I am making maple muffins and have mixed 1 1/3 flour and 1 tbsp BP already. It now tells me to cut in shortening which is not in the list of ingredients. Can anyone tell me how much and also can i substitute butter and if yes how much of that. One more question. It also calls for canned milk, which i dont have. Do you think it would okay to substitute a half and half mixture of 2% with whipping cream?

The first rule in baking is read the recipe through completely before you begin. You need to understand what it is you’re going to do step by step before you begin.

The second rule is mise en place. This is a French term meaning to “put in place”. So you measure out all of your ingredients before you begin to mix, then place them in the order you will use them. This is why you read the recipe through first, so you know the order in which you will use the ingredients.

I can tell you right now 1 1/3 cup flour is not enough for a dozen muffins. and 1 tablespoon of baking powder is an extraordinary amount for that much flour. So there’s more missing from that recipe besides the shortening. So i’m not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

I would advise you to go online and look for a recipe that has the ingredients in it that you would like to use such as the butter.

Reaction score
The first rule in baking is read the recipe through completely before you begin. You need to understand what it is you’re going to do step by step before you begin.

The second rule is mise en place. This is a French term meaning to “put in place”. So you measure out all of your ingredients before you begin to mix, then place them in the order you will use them. This is why you read the recipe through first, so you know the order in which you will use the ingredients.

I can tell you right now 1 1/3 cup flour is not enough for a dozen muffins. and 1 tablespoon of baking powder is an extraordinary amount for that much flour. So there’s more missing from that recipe besides the shortening. So i’m not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

I would advise you to go online and look for a recipe that has the ingredients in it that you would like to use such as the butter.
Thanks very much

Ask a Question