Cooling a gluten-free chocolate sponge cake for Seder

Reaction score
I am making a gluten free, chocolate sponge cake for a Seder. The recipe says to take cake out of the oven when done, then place it on its side for 15 minutes to cool. Next step calls for loosening cake from pan with a plastic knife, then turning it out of the pan and onto a cooling rack. I thought sponge cakes were supposed to cool upside down, either in a pan with feet or hanging from the neck of a bottle for an hour or two. Not sure which method will give me the moistest cake. Advice? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Reaction score
It’s the chiffon cake that is cooled upside down. And it’s cooled upside down to keep it from collapsing.

Follow the recipe as written. Absolutely none of the rules apply to gluten-free baking because there is no wheat flour. In gluten-free baking any combination of starches (rice flour, tapioca flour, potatoes starch, etc.), nut powders (almond, chestnut) and grains (sorghum, teff, etc.) with a binder(s) will be used as a wheat flour substitute.

Since only the recipe developer knows what is in the recipe, you have to follow the instructions from the recipe developer.

Reaction score
Thank you, Norcalbaker. I'm going to be making this cake tomorrow, so your reply is timely and most helpful.

Ask a Question