Tips for Making Nut-Free Macarons

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm an intermediate baker who has decided to tackle macarons. I am allergic to nuts and have been attempting them with coconut flour instead of almond flour or meal.

In my first 3 attempts, when I combine my meringue with my dry ingredients, the batter never becomes that molten lava-like texture. It almost immediately becomes crumbly and dry. I've been careful to fold and not mix so my meringue doesn't deflate but haven't had any luck getting the batter to come together.

Does anybody have any advice for a frustrated baker?! Thank you!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I haven't got any experience of making macarons with anything other than ground almonds I'm afraid, but I imagine the problems you are having are down to your choice of substitute. Ground almonds are very moist, and coconut flour is very dry.

I've seen a few recipes before that use a small amount of finely grated white chocolate in the recipe instead of nuts, although I've never tried it myself. I think you just need to find a different recipe :)

Reaction score
Ah! Thank you. I imagined it had something to do with the substitution. I appreciate your response!!

Reaction score
You're welcome :) Let us know if you manage to find a good alternative recipe!

Ask a Question