How to Make Raw Vegan Cheesecake Without Dates

Amy

Reaction score
I am a home baker selling at farmers markets specializing in custom recipes and take special orders. A customer wants me to make him a raw vegan gluten and sugar free cheesecake. He gave me a recipe that uses macadamia nuts, walnuts, coconuts and dates for the base. He does not want to use the dates as they are too high in sugar. I searched other dried fruits such as apricots, figs, raisins etc., but they have too much sugar too. This guy suggested sugar free jello. I try to make all of my food with real food and wanted to stay away from anything like this. Plus I didn't think it would be thick enough. I wondered about flax seeds for a binder. Has anyone had any experience with something like this? The recipe is 1 cup macadamia nuts, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup pitted dates, 1/4 cup coconut. I may be able to make a small paste from apricots for added taste but could not use more than a tablespoon. He also wants to substitute coconut nectar for the filling with an alternative and he suggested Stevia which I am not a fan of. Has anyone tried something like Swerve or Zero alternatives? And this calls for 3/4 cup coconut nectar so it is a big chunk of the recipe. Thanks SO much for any help you may have, especially if you have made something like this!

Reaction score
Im sorry to say, that if it isn't real cheesecake, its not cheesecake. Cause I am a cheesecake fanatic!
LOL

I am diabetic, and I have tried sugar free cheesecake, and it was the most horrible thing I've ever tasted!
And I despise liver, and I've tasted liver, and I'd rather eat liver than fake cheesecake!!!!! EEEEK!

If you need a thickener, use almond paste or grind up some toasted almonds until they are a fine powder.
Almonds are good for diabetics (so I've been told), plus they don't have a lot of sugar in them (supposedly), and if you use it as a flour, starch, or binder, it works pretty well from my experience. Plus it gives it a much better taste.

You can also use tofu substitutes. They make tofu "flour", tofu "sour cream", and such....
There are also tofu blocks you can use any way you want. You might look at some tofu cheesecake recipes to see if it might help you out on some ideas.

But for my money, I'd rather have the almonds, as tofu has no taste to me.

Hope that helps!!!!!:)

Reaction score
Gosh, that sounds like a difficult one! I've always used dates myself, but if they're too high in sugar I wouldn't know where to start. My go-to blogs for this kind of thing are Minimalist Baker and Oh She Glows - might be worth a look to see if there are any ideas.

Ask a Question