Starting a Home-based Baking Business: Any Advice?

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie, cooking/ baking hasn't always been something I enjoyed doing, but now it's something I look forward to. I would like to start my own little business making cakes, pies and other yummy treats. I'm not sure how to get started, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
First off, research the area you want to have your business in.
What kinds of things to the people in that area buy? If they buy more cookies and pastries, then it wouldn't be wise to open a bread or cake shop.

What is the income range of the average person in the area? You don't want to open a cake shop and charge outrageous prices in an area where people can't afford them.

What other businesses like the one you want, are there around that area? If the area is saturated with pastry, cake, and cupcake shops, then it might be wise to look in a different area.

Are there "low cost" grocery stores in that area? If so, are they going to carry what you want to make? If so, then you might not have the business you hope for....people will just go to the grocery store to get it cheaper.

What is the average life span of a "mom and pop" store in your area?

What finances will you need, for the type of shop you want?

Are there shops already in existence that are up for sale?

If you want to work from home, is it legal in your area to do so?
What factors are there in running a home business in your area?
Do you need special equipment or licenses?

There should be somebody at the main city hall office you can talk to about most of this and get the info you need, or where to get the info from.

Reaction score
"Chuck? Who is this Chuck"????
Say-What-dan-skognes-motivation-blogger-speaker-leadership-training-development-coach.jpg

LMAO

Ask a Question