Useful Kitchen Hacks

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was on Pinterest and I saw where someone said that you could use a drywall mud knife from the hardware store to cut cakes and brownies. This huge drywall knife looks like it would make quick work of a sheet cake.

Do you know of any other helpful tips like this for the kitchen?

7d75ecf258ebc128474c42a1fb8f1663.jpg

Reaction score
Sadly, space organization isn't up my alley! :( I always WANT to be organized, but just don't seem to pull it off. A 3-ring binder for recipes I've printed off of the Internet is one thing I use that works really well for me, since I'm a messy cook and if the paper isn't protected I usually have to reprint after a couple of times using it. You know, for any of us that have been working in the kitchen for any length of time there are probably lots of tips we could share...I think that I just don't consider them special to me.

LOL....I was baking with a boy I care for and he had his mini scoop out to make cookies. I said I used to marvel at the perfect size and shape of other people's cookies. I didn't know till I was probably 30 that they were making them with a scoop. I told him he knows the trick a LOT earlier in life than I did!

Reaction score
I've seen some great ideas for kitchen organisation on Pinterest! There are a few articles which list all sorts of ways to organise your kitchen, like this one and this one.

My goodness this woman has a serious case of OCD with her kitchen! Everything in both the kitchen and pantry is perfectly placed, from a bag of chips to the littlest sunflower. She does have some useful tips on how to store snacks, but what I need to know is how she maintains such structure!

Reaction score
My goodness this woman has a serious case of OCD with her kitchen! Everything in both the kitchen and pantry is perfectly placed, from a bag of chips to the littlest sunflower. She does have some useful tips on how to store snacks, but what I need to know is how she maintains such structure!

LOL...she did it ONCE, for the photo...and now it looks like MY kitchen! ;) (JK)

Reaction score
I have to admit, the Target Archer Farms spice bottles are adorable.
I get why the woman in the organization blog wants to switch all her spices over to Archer Farms. They have the most charming vintage looking bottles.

Reaction score
Ok using the tacks is a great idea! I really wish I was more organized. Those Archer Farms spice bottles are rather cute. I really don't have mine nice and sorted like she does. I keep mine in a cubbord and they are constantly being shifted around and I always have to look for them.

Reaction score
Her kitchen is so organized! I like the idea of using a lazy susan to organize cans is a good one. I doubt my kitchen would ever be that organized though.

Reaction score
I like this idea of using pants hangers to hold up recipes so that you don't get the recipe dirty.

14623e57afe6c3592593a0fca4c846e1.jpg

Reaction score
That is so cool. A dish drying rack above the sink. They should just automatically build this feature into every new kitchen.

89748512b7b1a4f50fb8bd798dff0e35.jpg

Reaction score
What a cool idea!!! It makes you wonder why some of these things aren't automatically standard in every kitchen!!! I bet if they polled people about what they wished their kitchens had there would be great ideas and things that made us all say "why didn't I think of that"?! :)

You find the coolest things! :)

Reaction score
I see this on Pinterest a lot. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

b4357dcffbdb40065a80cb5b5cda86d1.jpg

Reaction score
I was putting my soup in round containers that take up too much freezer space. I feel kind of dumb now.

f46adbc73a11dc55a6e226c1024b3f2c.jpg

Reaction score
I like this idea of using pants hangers to hold up recipes so that you don't get the recipe dirty.

I actually do something like this and it works well. I have a small three-pronged rack above my sink for hanging dish cloths. When I have a larger recipe like this (printed from the computer) I use two clothes pins to hang it from one of the prongs. It keeps it off the counter so it stays clean (I'm a messy cook!) as well as keeping it out of my way while I'm moving things around. I also puts it right at eye level so I can read it easily.

Reaction score
To peel garlic in bulk, just crush a head of garlic with the palm of your hand - causing the cloves to all separate. Then place them all into a metal bowl and top them with an equal size metal bowl and shake the heck out of it all for about 15-20 seconds. When you open the bowl they should all be peeled.

When peeling eggs, lay the egg on the counter on its side. Then gently press down on the center of it with the palm of your hand until it cracks slightly, then carefully roll the egg back and forth a few times with light pressure. Makes the shell come off very easily.

Reaction score
To peel garlic in bulk, just crush a head of garlic with the palm of your hand - causing the cloves to all separate. Then place them all into a metal bowl and top them with an equal size metal bowl and shake the heck out of it all for about 15-20 seconds. When you open the bowl they should all be peeled.

When peeling eggs, lay the egg on the counter on its side. Then gently press down on the center of it with the palm of your hand until it cracks slightly, then carefully roll the egg back and forth a few times with light pressure. Makes the shell come off very easily.

I've never tried (or thought of trying) the garlic trick. Now I shall have to, just for the fun of it!

I did know that egg trick, though. Makes them SO much easier to peel!!!

Ask a Question