Hermits

Reaction score
I had never heard of them before, but thanks for the recommendation :) It's always nice to have some bar recipes for the family to try. I like to keep homemade bars at home, so we can have them as a snack if we get hungry between meals.

Reaction score
You're welcome, some recipes call for more molasses, others less, so you can find varieties that are darker and some are lighter. I like them both, and you can also vary what you put in them, different nuts, light vs. dark raisins, currants, etc. They're all good, and have a nice hearty, rich taste.

Reaction score
I don't believe I have ever had hermits before but they look like a good fall cookie to make since they are spicy. I am not fond of raisins in my cookies, so I would probably substitute those for dried cherries or cranberries.

Reaction score
I don't believe I have ever had hermits before but they look like a good fall cookie to make since they are spicy. I am not fond of raisins in my cookies, so I would probably substitute those for dried cherries or cranberries.

Yes, that's what I was just saying above, you can substitute whatever you want, and dried cherries or cranberries sounds like wonderful substitutes!

Reaction score
You can't go wrong when you are using Taste of Home recipes in general either. I happened to notice when. I clicked on the link it was for the Taste of Home website. They have the best recipes for almost everything. All of the food makes me think of down home country food.

Reaction score
I have purchased them many times, but have never thought of making them myself thanks for sharing the recipe. They definitely don't seem too hard to make. I love how they aren't overlybsweer cookies

Reaction score
You can't go wrong when you are using Taste of Home recipes in general either. I happened to notice when. I clicked on the link it was for the Taste of Home website. They have the best recipes for almost everything. All of the food makes me think of down home country food.

@Tina Nord Yes, I love Taste of Home. I've always been happy with their recipes, as well. I was just talking to my Mom yesterday about hermits, they're one of her favorites. I think I'll bake up a batch and ship them to her once I get the raisins and nuts.

@DancingLady The reason I went looking for a recipe is that I've never seen hermits at the (few and far between) bakeries here. I'd probably be happy just buying a couple of them, but if I'm going to bake a whole batch of them, I'll share with my Mom, and maybe even freeze a few for when the next craving hits.

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of them either, but the ingredients sound like a perfect fall-time recipe to me!

Also I just loved the reason they are called hermits - because they last well hidden away! Convenient!

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of them either, but the ingredients sound like a perfect fall-time recipe to me!

Also I just loved the reason they are called hermits - because they last well hidden away! Convenient!

Here's a story about their origin. Many of the sailors in the old days would get scurvy from being on ship for months and not having fresh fruit, so their wives would make things like Hermits and put raisins, currants, etc., in them, to give their husbands' health a little boost. https://books.google.com/books?id=C...v=onepage&q=hermit cookies ship wives&f=false

Reaction score
I think I just heard my delivery arrive. I was so lazy this time, I actually ordered my flour, sugar and raisins, as well as the household goods. Now I can bake up a batch of hermits for my Mom, and get them mailed off. I found her recipe the other day. It's similar to the one above, but doesn't have nuts, so I'm leaving them out of this batch. I'll probably make her another batch for her birthday, and might include nuts and some other dried fruits in those. She doesn't bake as much these days, and hasn't had a good hermit in a while, since she's moved away from the area we grew up in, so I know she'll appreciate them.

Reaction score
I think I just heard my delivery arrive. I was so lazy this time, I actually ordered my flour, sugar and raisins, as well as the household goods. Now I can bake up a batch of hermits for my Mom, and get them mailed off. I found her recipe the other day. It's similar to the one above, but doesn't have nuts, so I'm leaving them out of this batch. I'll probably make her another batch for her birthday, and might include nuts and some other dried fruits in those. She doesn't bake as much these days, and hasn't had a good hermit in a while, since she's moved away from the area we grew up in, so I know she'll appreciate them.
Diane Lane, you order your groceries. That's kind of neat. I wonder if you can actually have them delivered here where I live. I know you can order online and pick up but delivery sounds neat. Anyway, I saw Hermits and came looking for Hermit the frog type cookie.

Anyway these look great and when I am fully out of my baking slump. MAYBE I'll give these a try. I had some misses with cookies that left me quite offset. We'll see how that goes.

Reaction score
Diane Lane, you order your groceries. That's kind of neat. I wonder if you can actually have them delivered here where I live. I know you can order online and pick up but delivery sounds neat. Anyway, I saw Hermits and came looking for Hermit the frog type cookie.

Anyway these look great and when I am fully out of my baking slump. MAYBE I'll give these a try. I had some misses with cookies that left me quite offset. We'll see how that goes.

@Winterybella Ahh, do you mean Kermit the Frog? You might be able to find one, actually, because there's a new Sesame Street television show starting, so there will probably be lots of products and designs. Ah, here's one. There are others available, but this was the least expensive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121586349170?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

I have some things delivered, the non-perishables, but I'm not happy with how the delivery arrived. One part was somewhat smashed, and I bought a different type of sugar than I usually do, and had a problem with it. I'll probably pick those 2 items up in the store from now on. It's not worth having to deal with returns and complaints. I do like having the heavy cat supplies delivered, though, it makes shopping a lot easier when the shopping cart isn't weighed down with 100 lbs of cat supplies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads