Hey everyone!

Reaction score
So, hey guys. My name's Annabell, and I've got a real love of baking. Which is handy as considering my job-I run my own children's home...charity...thing-cookies and cakes are ALWAYS in high demand. We're usually cooking and baking pretty much 24/7 in our house to keep up with the demand. However we also cook with all the kids, so I'm always in the lookout for new recipes that are both really tasty, but also easy for little one's to either be involved in making, or even recipes which they can make by themselves, albeit with a little supervision.

But yeah, that's my introduction! Hope to add a bit to the forum with some of the recipes we use, and obviously gain a few new tricks and recipes for the home! And obviously make some new baking buddies :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Annabell! That sounds fascinating, how many children do you look after? Must keep you very busy!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Annabell! That sounds fascinating, how many children do you look after? Must keep you very busy!
Thanks very much Becky :)

At last night's head count, we had three hundred children in the house. Some of those were just staying the night though to let their parents have a bit of time off, but the majority are here for the long haul, or at the very least for a few months while we help them improve their lives, deal with what has happened etc. Some of them will stay with us for years, if they so choose, it's entirely up to them what happens really, since I count as their legal guardian in most cases, and in some....they just don't have any, and the courts don't catch up to them. But, I never turn away someone that needs our help, even if they bring their own set of special needs or problems with it. So yeah, it does indeed keep us quite busy here!

Reaction score
There need to be more people like you in the world :)
Aww, thank you so much for saying that Becky! If it helps, we've always got a big team of people helping out. My husband obviously works here with me when he can, some of the older kids help out when they can with simple things, we obviously pay them for it, and a lot of the children that go through our doors end up just asking if they can stay on as a permanent employee, which frankly, is amazing to have around. I mean, I can connect with children, but there's sometimes where being from a very well off family-which is how I got the money to start this in the first place-means that...it's harder for me to connect to some of the people that come to us, or we try and help.

So in some cases, instead of me or my husband getting to know the kids at first, I'll take one of the young adults that work for us, who used to be in the same sort of place aside and just say 'Look, I need you to let them know what it's like here, and that they can trust us'. Hearing it coming from me can seem a little...demeaning, if threatening to some of these kids. Like, 'Oh yay look at me, I'm from a well off family and I want to help you because I'm so up myself'. So it's a lot better for some of the children if they can hear the words, 'Look, I know what you've been through, and I know what you're feeling right now. Because five years ago I was feeling the same things, but these people are alright, and we're not going to keep you here if you want to leave, but I'd like you to stay'. It works out a lot better for some kids if they hear that we're safe and can be trusted from someone who isn't lying about having been down on their luck, but has actually been in the system, or out on the street etc, and now has their life together, has a warm bed every night, and is being paid to just talk to people like them, and get them help.

We're actually starting work on expanding the house, to allow both for more kids to stay with us, and build proper rooms and apartments for the older, live in staff that stay on with us. Being able to ask someone else to nurse a sick child or just play with them in a cosy room is a godsend sometimes when you feel like you're about to drop if you don't grab some sleep soon. It's a hectic life, but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Ask a Question