Tips for preparing red velvet cake with fondant

Reaction score
Ok so I'm making red velvet cake for my daughters birthday this Sunday.
I'm covering it with fondant, I want to know how much in advance can I make the cake and have it completely ready? I need to prepare the food also so I am trying to plan what needs to be done when. The cake is a big worry l, I would like it done Friday bit am concerned if it's ok to put it in th3 fridge after fondant? I could also keep it in my sunroom as it's very cold in there these days and no heating in there.
Please help with suggestions.

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd put the iced cake in an airtight container and store it somewhere cool but not the fridge. Your sunroom sounds perfect! It depends on the frosting of course - if you were using a cream cheese frosting you would need to refrigerate it, but fondant icing has such a high sugar content that the only risk you will need to worry about is it drying out (hence the need to use an airtight container).

Reaction score
It's cream cheese butter frosting
If ots cream cheese and I crumb coat and leave in fridge Thursday I could cover with fondant Friday. Oh I don't know I'm confused, last year I made a vanilla sponge and had it in sunroom cupboard it was buttercream frosting though not cream cheese.

Reaction score
I'm getting a little confused too! When you say 'fondant' are you referring to fondant icing or are you using it as a general term for frosting?

Either way, if you are using cream cheese in your frosting I think it should be refrigerated in an airtight container, just to be safe. It should be fine to last from Thursday to Sunday though :)

Reaction score
Thank you Becky and sorry for the confusion. Yes I did mean fondant icing as well as cream cheese frosting. I shall do just that I wouldn't want to risk having to do it again!!!

Reaction score
Bake your cake layers, let them cool in the pans.

Get a cookie sheet, a bit larger than the cake layers. Place two sheets of waxed paper (or plastic wrap if you don't have waxed paper) on the bottom of the cookie sheet. Place one layer of the cake on the cookie sheet. Place two more layers of waxed paper or plastic wrap on top of the cake layer and place the other cake layer on top of that one. Wrap the whole thing firmly and snuggly in plastic wrap.

Place it in the freezer. You can do this days before.

You can also make your frosting ahead of time as well. Once you have made your frosting, place some plastic wrap directly on the top of the frosting inside the airtight container, then place the airtight lid on the container. You can place this in the fridge until you are ready for it.

Once you are ready to assemble the cake, take your frosting out of the fridge and let it sit out on the counter for about an hour or two.

You can take your cake layers out of the freezer and work with them while they are frozen (it helps working with frozen cake!)

You might need to use a sturdy spoon and break up the frosting a bit, if it still feels solid.

Once your cake is frosted, then you can place your fondant on top.

One of the BIG bakers secrets to frosting a cake without any problems, is using frozen cake.

Freezing the cake will also help it retain most of its moisture too.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Wow Chester v that was really helpful. I'll make the frosting today then when I get home. It's just the many stages involved in cake making and getting them right it's overwhelming at times.
Feeling more confident now. Thanks.

Reaction score
So I made the cake, what a marathon that was but it got completed after 5 half hours of decorating on Saturday. Why oh why I cursed myself, 2hy jot go into asda like normal people and buy a birthday cake. Lool
It wouldn't have been made by mama then would it.

It had many imperfections which I used to stars to hide hehehe. I'm glad it's done and dusted though. Phew!

Reaction score
Wow that's awesome work! And it looks delicious too :) I really like what you did with the decorating, did you use a mould for the letters?

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words!
Yes I used tappits for the letters, took a bit of getting used to but I got it in the end.

Reaction score
So I made the cake, what a marathon that was but it got completed after 5 half hours of decorating on Saturday. Why oh why I cursed myself, 2hy jot go into asda like normal people and buy a birthday cake. Lool
It wouldn't have been made by mama then would it.

It had many imperfections which I used to stars to hide hehehe. I'm glad it's done and dusted though. Phew!

I've never used fondant. That is very pretty! I like the way you did the cake layers too!
Very nice!!!!

I bet everybody was thrilled!!!

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words!
Yes I used tappits for the letters, took a bit of getting used to but I got it in the end.
Oh my goodness. The day I can make something like that I am going to throw a party for myself. I am so impress. Way to go.

Ask a Question